does anyone rate the new ford focus RS?

I've heard mixed reports about the new RS Ford Focus does anyone rate it?

i had an escort cosworth a few years ago and was considering getting an RS but I'm not too sure.

Anyone that has one please let me know.

James snipped-for-privacy@maguiresgarage.co.uk

Maguires Garage

I've only driven one at town speeds for about 10 mins and going by what everyone else seems to say- the way you have to fight the steering against the tight LSD becomes very tiresome very quickly.

Other than that- quick, any gear, any speed, quick. Very nearly as quick as an STi without the 4wd or another 60bhp.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

At present i own a 53 plate RS and love it to pieces! The torqe steer in my honest opinion (and as a mechanic) is not a problem and is NO WHERE as bad as people make out.

The handling is unreal! - PERIOD! As you prob know it uses the same suspension geometry/angles as the tarmac WRC car. Performance.... 0-100mph is 14.9 according to EVO magazine which sees off ALOT of other cars on the road! I put my foot to the floor once on the M25 and managed to get to 155mph and it was loaded. Its a very stable car at speed and it honestly puts a smile on my face EVERY time i drive it.

I have had it since new and put 4000 miles on it but now its time 4 it to go :o( - Id like a BMW 330 now.

So if you know of anyone....... 53 plate FRS with a private plate RS53 *** , 4,000 miles IMMACULATE condition only used weekends then email me!

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.

I've had mine for a couple of thousand miles now, and although a hardened rwd fan, I absolutely love it. Sure I find it advisable to pay attention when applying lots of throttle in wet or damp conditions, but no more so than I used to have to do in my old e34 M5.

It is certainly quite quick - one test I do to benchmark my cars is from a standing start at a set of traffic lights to passing a lay-by on a dual carriageway. My M5 used to hit 120 without being brutal off the line and the Focus can hit 115 with less traction and no more brutality (speedo error may vary of course). I have had rolling "comparisons" with a wrx sti type uk and an evo gta (the slightly detuned one) and there was literally nothing in it, although it would be a different matter from a standstill of course.

What I like about it most, is that it *feels* quick - when I first got my M5, I always ended up travelling 20-30mph faster than I thought I was going because it was so smooth and effortless. Ultimately though, it was just too competent and a bit boring as a result. The RS is the opposite - with a firm ride and plenty of tire and exhaust noise, it feels like you are really shifting even when you are not going that fast. I rate it highly because even though I'm generally travelling slower now, I'm having more fun at these lower speeds and as a result I reckon my licence is safer since I bought it!

The original poster commented on having an Escort Cosworth a few years back, and I used to run a Lancia Integrale 16v - not exactly the same thing (!) but I think it gives me some relevant experience to comment. The Focus handles much like my Lancia did - very sharp responses, very little roll or understeer and a fairly hard ride. Obviously it lacks traction in comparison, but makes up for that by having some degree of build quality...

Provided you are happy with the concept that the throttle pedal has more than two positions, the RS is an entertaining and sometimes challenging drive that *does* reward attempts at finesse. Note that I do mainly fairly short runs - I think it would be tiring on a long journey, and it certainly isn't an ideal motorway car.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Allen