Does UK Focus have guard under engine compartment

Hi Everyone, Happened to have to look under the front of my 2000 V reg 1.8 Zetec the other day and I noticed that the plastic(?) guard was missing. This is the guard which prevents water etc splashing up into the engine and possibly provides a more even airflow under the front of the car (making it quieter?). I also noticed, when I looked down into the engine at the front between the engine block and the radiator/front body, that I could see the ground! "I have lost the underbody guard" was my first thought. "Did somebody nick it?" My wife suggested that perhaps the garage forgot to replace it when it was serviced (in February!) ?

Dug out the Haynes manual and searched through, unable to find any reference to removing the underbody/engine bay cover. Is it a figment of my imagination that there once was a cover there - I seem to remember that the engine bay used to stay relatively clear of water and mud splashing from the road but it had got a bit dirty in the past few months. I am beginning to doubt that there ever was a cover or not? Help please! Should I have an underengine cover or not? It certainly looks a bit vulnerable when I look under the front. (it's a 25 mile drive to my dealer but I don't want to look foolish when I ring them and ask them to order and fit me a new one if there never was one!!)

Thanks a lot, Justin

Reply to
Justin Case

I don't think mine does (2002 1.8 Zetec) but it's dark out now so I can't really check...

I was looking under it at the petrol station earlier in the week cos I thought i had a water leak - turned out not to be my car at all - and I wasn't concious of one being there then.

HTH

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

Justin

AFAIK the only model with the plastic tray underneath is the Diesel models and is there to reduce the amount of noise issuing from the engine bay. Mine has one for definite it's a 115ps TDCi my previous Focus was a 2.0l petrol and that did not have any sort of under engine cover

Regards

Andy Lee

Reply to
Andy Lee

Thanks Guys for your help, just been to Ford dealer and belly-crawled around showroom and about 20 Focii outside and THERE IS NO UNDER ENGINE COMPARTMENT GUARD on any of the ones I looked at. I must have been dreaming but I am still sure that there was one when I got the car!!!!!!! Seems to me like it would help the airflow under the car and also help to prevent water and salt and mud flying up into engine compartment but the lack of airflow may cause a bit of overheating - come to think of it, I have never heard the fan come on - in 4 years? Was amazed at the amount of rust on the underbody parts, all the bits of the suspension and crossmembers etc both at the front and the rear - is this normal on this age of car - there was none on my other car - E30 BMW even at

12 years old - and it had a cover under the engine compartment.......................... Do I need to worry about this underbody rust or is it normal for a car of it's age?

Cheers from Justin

Reply to
Justin Case

"Justin Case" skrev i meddelandet news:zYvPc.629$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...

On my German made Focus from 2000 there is a plastic air cowling from the lower inside of the front spoiler running down under the radiator. Nothing below the engine though. When it comes to rust protection of steel brackets and stuff under the car, this seems to be a place where they save a buck or two. Under my old Audi

100 things were looking better after 13 years than this Focus does after four years. /per
Reply to
per