FORD FOCUS EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY

I bought an ESP extended service plan for my 2000 Ford Focus. I've had two occasions to take it back to a Ford Dealer after I bought the plan. They are as follows.

#1 After Ford replaced my defective Fuel Module in a recall the engine ran rough. They told me the Engines computer would have to be re-programmed but that was not covered under the warranty or recall. Even though the engine, fuel module, parts and labor are covered. Apparantly Ford thinks mechanics working on the cars computer is not labor.

#2 Check their website and I believe you'll find that under the ESP electrical section that "Wiring Harnesses except Spark Plug wires" are listed. My local dealer replaced my "Battery Harness" but according to Ford the thickest biggest wire on the car is not a "Wiring Harness". Why? Because when they put the part # in the Ford computer it says it's not.

When I asked for an explanation I was given an 800 number. The service rep acknowledged that he wasn't allowed to answer "yes" to any complaint and that he couldn't connect me to anyone that could say yes or offer any help.

DON'T TRUST FORD. The company I work for has a slogan, "CHARACTER MATTERS". The management of my company believes that chasing short term profits at the expense of morality is a bankrupt practice. Ironically I'm planning on getting two new cars...I certainly won't be buying a Ford.

If you've had similar experiences with Ford Service Plans please post your complaints and maybe we can get a law firm interested in a class action lawsuit.

Reply to
steve.treverton

I agree. Hindsight being 20/20 I would not have purchased the extended service plan. As I now understand it, the ESP is really only for catastrophic engine problems. It rarely covers things that actually go wrong. Case in point, I'm having my 2001 Focus ZX3 serviced this week. A coil spring broke...not covered ($350). Cigarette lighter not working...not covered ($50). DPFE sensor...the mechanic said "ya, these are known to fail, so Ford extended the warranty on these" Sooooo, otherwise it would not have been covered??? (see:

. This is the second time it's been replaced....so at 40k miles...they seem to last only 20k m apiece.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Ford Sucks!!!!!

Go to the DOT NHTSA site, read the letter Ford wrote. They screwed up.

Also, Lemon law folks in Washington DC, they have it write.

If you saw the fuel pump -- we cut one in half, what a joke!!!! It really sucks. Plastic parts in it and a motor that is voltage dependant. I mean, it's designed to fail at 35,000 miles.

18 injuries, 4 deaths. sue ford.

Also, please use a good oil. Ford oil sucks. Auto tranny oil we found traces of soy oil in it. And it fails SAE and ASTM test for boil off; see test ASTM- D4172, DIN 51581, and Wuropean test ACEA.

If you can't find it, try this at home. Drain your ford oil in a pan, a pan that you can throw away, then heat it up -- place a thermometer in the pan, and watch the temp. When we did this on ford automatic trmaission oil; it failed at 248, 250 deg. F. Not good. Regular oil from Kragens or pep boys will go to 275. deg f. That's okay. Now try some Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1. And it will go over 400 deg f. before failure. Failure is when it boils, turns black or bubbles and then smokes off. Not good. Also, not when you boil ford oil, notice the colors changing and that poor oil filler. That means, it's not a petro based oil. It's a soy or bean oil added. They, ford use that oil in Mexico so as to stretch their own supply and screw the consumer.

check it out.

John.

snipped-for-privacy@gc> I bought an ESP extended service plan for my 2000 Ford Focus. I've

Reply to
john30

This comment is unrelated, but you apparently don't have a wife. SWMBO would not allow anybody in the kitchen to boil oil or transmission fluid on their cooktop.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill