hesitation on take off

My 2000 Focus Wagon misses or hesitates a few seconds when I take off from a stop.I've put new plugs, air filter and injector cleaner, but I still have the problem. The check engine light hasn't come on. I'm thinking plug wires or fuel fiklter. Anyone else dealt with this? Thanks

Reply to
K. Stocker

Mine started doing same thing (and more), my check engine light was on giving a bad dpfe code, changing just DPFE sensor didnt correct problem totaly, unfortunately 2001 and ealier Focuses have a known fuel pump issue that will cause this, along with a known DPFE issue (DPFE controls opening and closing of EGR valve). All said and done I did all the following to get it to run nice and smooth again: New Fuel Filter New Spark Plugs New Ignition Coil (found crack in old one) New DPFE Sensor Cleaned EGR valve New PCV Valve New fuel pump Cleaned MAF Sensor (carefully) Not as bad as it sounds, DPFE was $38 at ford dealer, plugs and gas filter roughly $20, and I bought a used Fuel pump out of low mileage 03 wreck for $20, but ended sourcing a brand new one for $80 online, PCV valve like $4, carb cleaner for EGR valve $3, Automotive Electrical Contact Cleaner for MAF cleaning $6 . Everything but the fuel pump is a piece of cake. Fuel pump is not that hard; you just got to get car high enough to work under it. Ford supposedly has issued a lifetime replacement warranty on Focus fuel pumps for model years 01 and 02 but did not do a recall.

Oh yeah, this car had 61,000 well taken care of miles when all this happened.

Reply to
tekguy4

I would say if you haven't done so already, check to see if there is spark coming from the plug wires. If you don't know how to do this, find someone who does. *DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage or otherwise harmful effects (example: death) as a direct result from you/anyone else attempting this maneuver!*

Have engine off. Disconnect one plug wire, preferably the first in firing sequence. Take a screwdriver, preferably a long philips (6-8"), and insert point end of screwdriver into the plug wire, assuring contact of screwdriver with the plug seat. Have a buddy or trusted individual crank the engine as you ground out the screwdriver (while it is still up in the plug wire) on something like the engine block or frame (if it is long enough). As SOON as you see/feel a spark, CEASE IGNITION START!!! Repeat step for each plug wire (only three more!!) and the one that doesn't spark or has a weak spark is your culprit. Or, if you'd like, take it into an Authorized Ford/Lincoln/Mercury service center (f*** a mechanic) and let them test your plug wires.

It may also be your plug gap. Check the owner's manual for the proper gap on your spark plug and adjust accordingly. Also, check if it is burning rich or hot, as this is also a cause for hesitation on start-up.take-off.

Reply to
TheOneTheyCallNeo

I have a 2001 Focas and was sent a recall on a few problems i have seen here the sputtering was caused by a fualty gas pump that has been replaced at no charge by a ford dealership. i hope this helps some of you.

Reply to
Jeffrey Davis