Ignition cylinder

Well, went to warm my 2001 Focus SE Wagon (US version) this morning & the key would not turn. It seems to be the ignition cylinder itself. Any idea on how much a repair like this would cost? Also, I am very mechanical and wondering if this can be done by myself.

Thank you very much, Paul

Reply to
mbna_assurant

The Cylinder from ford cost me ~$50 US, it comes with the cylinder and the wafers to make it work with your key, you need to set the wafers in the correct locations to match the key, and put the cap on to hold them in. The hard part is to remove the cylinder you need to turn the key then you can insert a pin and remove it, otherwise you may need to drill it out. You may be better getting a locksmith to replace it, they should be able to get a better cylinder then the Ford one and replace it for you.

Reply to
underdog

My 2003 ignition cylinder would not turn either. Gave no warning at all. After reading about so many problems with the same issue, I decided to get a locksmith to fix it. Fortunately it quit in my driveway. You can read horror stories about where others have had their ignition lock up and not turn. People got stranded for hours until someone came to tow or fix the cylinder. I have read that Ford just replaces the cylinder with the same piece of junk that just went bad. It has caused people to have the same problem again and again in the same car.

When the locksmith came to fix mine, he said the cylinder was basically junk metal and was not happy with rebuilding it because it could jam up again. I suggest to remove the tumblers that were binding and leave the others in. The cylinder has eight and we left three in. Some people removed them all and will never ever have the problem again. Since the car will not start without the key (PATS), you can get away with this. I elected to not have someone be able to turn the switch with just a screwdriver.

Google 'Ford Focus ignition switch problem' and you will see what some have done to remedy the situation. When the cylinder goes bad, it gives you no warning signs in advance. Just one day, you can't turn the key and you are stranded. Ford has had this problem since 2000 and when contacted, insists that it is not a problem that they have heard of.

Jay

Reply to
Jay1028