Re: 2001 Wagon jumps to side when hitting bumps

Driving down a city street at 35 -40 mph, hit a man hole cover,

> recessed one, with one side of the car, straight on, do not turn. > > Put someone in the back seat if you want it felt even more. > > > > > > >OK, guys, what kind of bumps are you talkin' about here, and what kind o f > >speed? I've had my wagon for 3 months now, and don't recall anything > >untoward in my car's reaction to bumps. Of course, I'm no rally driver. ... > >:^) > > > >Darren > > > >> owned or driven a car or truck that did this. I sure wonder how so > >> many can not notice it. > >> > >> > >> > >> >>I appreciate that the thread gave you a laugh but let me assure you > >> >>that my Focus Wagon does indeed jump to the side. I am working with a > >> >>dealer to sort it out, so far they don't agree but they haven't rode > >> >>with me yet. > >> > > >> >Mine does it, too. Rather disconcerting when it happens. > >> > > >> >Mark > >> > >

This looks like it just dropped off the map. Did anyone ever find a soluti on? I've had a 2004 Wagon for 5 years now and put on 110,000km (bought it at 50,000km) and this winter it began to lurch sideways when moving from ba re to slippery pavement and back. Has never done this before, same winter tires and no obvious damage or wear in the suspension. Apart from that the car still handles incredibly well, I regularly push this car to the limit or a little further in corners and have never had cause for concern. Only noticable on transitioning between slippery and non slippery surfaces.

Reply to
blowitoutyourwazoo
[...]

Did this change in behaviour occur after tyre replacement by any chance?

Because the Focus handles so well, it really needs premium tyres.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Tires were not changed when the problem appeared. Tires are a step up from what was supplied new. The problem is is detectable when one tire is on a w et paint line and the other is not (if you are looking for it). It feels l ike an alignment issue but tire wear is negligible. I may take a little to e out of the front to see if improves but it feels like the rear.

Reply to
blowitoutyourwazoo

I had a similar issue (I thought a wheel was loose) which turned out to be bad tires. I rotated the front tires to the rear and put new tires on the front and the problem was solved.

In my case it nearly always happened at higher speeds on a bumpy highway on curves but sometimes on straights as well. Very unnerving...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing