Road Noise

I find the focus noisy compared with my previous Citroen BX. Any thoughts?

Alapal

Reply to
Alan Sharp

In message , Alan Sharp writes

Road noise? Engine noise? In what way is it noisier?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Road noise, the engine is quite quiet.

Reply to
Alan W Sharp

If it is an older model probably the make of tyre. Throughout the life time of my last Focus I tried 4 different types (brands) of tyres and found that the quietest were the Michleins Pilot Energy these were a lot better than the Pirellis which were the original fit, other types like Conti's and Dunlops fell between the two.

My new Focus is a Diesel and has Contis atm. The whole car is a lot quieter than the old one whilst road noise has been especially improved, so Ford have obviously been working on the issue.

If the car is new it may be worth getting things like tyre alignment and tracking checked out.

Regards

Andy Lee

Reply to
Andy Lee

I had Michelin Pilot Energy first on my Focus from '00, but changed to Yokohama AVS decibel's. They are quiter still and have had better handling so far than the old Michelins. /per

"Andy Lee" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
per

Hi per

Thanks for that I will look out for them when the conti's are due to be changed. Were they any more expensive than the Michelin's ?

Regards

Andy Lee

Reply to
Andy Lee

The Michelins came with the car so I don't know about their price really, but the Yokohamas are no budget, but premium tyres with price equal to the better ones out there. I was not satisfied with the Michelins when they were almost worn out and was looking for the quitest tyres around, and the handling was a great positive surprise. /per

"Andy Lee" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
per

U want to drive a focus RS!!! with its 225/40/18 tyres you do not fall asleep on a long journey!!!! but they are ~£130 each tho! :(

MC.

------

Reply to
Mark C.

When was your Focus built? Earlyer once had some problems with noise, documented (German):

TECHNISCHE SERVICE INFORMATION Nr.105/2000 PKW und leichte Nutzfahrzeuge 17.08.2000

Gruppe:43 (501-05/08/11)

Modell: Focus, gebaut bis einschließlich 31.03.2000 (Baucode YA)

Länder: Alle

Betrifft: Wingeräusche im Bereich der A-Säule, Türfensterscheiben und Außenspiegel bei Geschwindigkeiten über 80 km/h

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Now that's not road noise, is it? /per

"Michael Heim> > I find the focus noisy compared with my previous Citroen BX. Any thoughts?

Reply to
per