UK Ford Dealer Service: Parts 30% up on last year

Just had a 25K service at my local dealer. They grumbled and tried to ignore my complaints about a water pump squeak but finaly changed it.

But looking at the charges for parts compared to last years exact same service, some of them have go up by up to 30%. Naturally they had no clue why

Anyone know how they can justify this?

Thanks

Reply to
Robin Smith

In message , Robin Smith wrote

I bet that if you had been in the 'trade' the same parts over the counter would have been discounted by 30 to 50 percent. Has the dealer chosen to buy the parts from himself at the higher price and then passed the cost on to you?

Many years ago, I foolishly put my car in for the 'free' 1000 mile service. The labour was free and I was just expecting to pay for the oil and filter. Both items came to around three times the price I would have paid in the most expensive motoring shop. They itemised screen wash sachets, the plastic bag put on the seat and the bit of paper put in the foot-well. The price of these three items alone would have covered a fair percentage of the cost of labour charges. The dealer went out of business a short time later probably as a result of no repeat custom.

Reply to
Alan