UK 2000 front foglights glass cracked

Hi, About a year ago, one of my front foglights glasses was cracked but remained intact. The light worked ok (although I don't use them very often) so I left it and kept my eye on it to make sure the glass didn't drop out and let water in. Last week, the other one was cracked (not sure how but did 1400 miles in a few days over varied surfaces). The glass is also intact. My question is:-

  1. Are they easy to replace by a reasonably able person (me !! )
  2. Can the glass be replaced separately?
  3. Is there somewhere online where some sort of guard can be obtained to prevent/avoid this happening again (a sober, rather than flashy design preferred)? Went to 2 Ford dealers for quotes (also got quote for oil and filter change -for interim change between services - just for info). Dealer A - Cost of lights (to fit myself) £18.10 each = £36.20 if I do it myself Garage to replace both lamps £62.72 plus vat Oil and filter change £25 including vat

Dealer B- Cost of lights presumably same (didn't ask) Garage to replace both lamps £78.33 inc. vat Oil and filter change £55 incl. vat (they said it was so expensive because they use synthetic oil but if I wanted to bring my own oil, I could and they would do it.

Problem is that I like Dealer B, a family Ford garage and they have serviced and Mot'd my car before but it is 25 miles away. Didn't like Dealer A's attitude, were neither friendly nor particularly helpful - shrugged and gave me a look when I asked him if he could jot the figures on a bit of paper !! - they are 1 mile away.

What would you do??

Reply to
Justin Case

Try bouncing Dealer A's quote off of Dealer B and see if they come down a bit.

Reply to
Dave Mulvey

  1. Yes easy peasy

  1. the glass and reflector are a single piece, the bulb holder slots into this.

Mk 1 foglights are available here:

for about 7quid each plus postage.

Reply to
Andrew Jewitt