UK Focus 1.8 TDDI power surges ?

Just took posession of the above, 2 years old only 13,000 miles. Very pleased with most things but when I drop say fom fifth gear to fourth at around 30 mph the car will surge to 35mph without any application on the accerelator. Is this normal ? or something more serious I need sorting ?

-- Regards, Stu Devereux. Fax no. 08701339568 (Outside UK fax 448701339568) E-mail. snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
Stewart Devereux

It sounds as if the ECU's trying to stop it stalling! I have a TDCi, which is possibly geared differently as well as being a different engine obviously, but it's happy in 3rd at 30!4th if your on a downhill slope. It would certainly stall in 5th. I suspect you're in way too high a gear for the speed you're doing.

Would this be your first diesel by any chance?

G.

Reply to
Gary McClean

Erm your in far too high a gear! The ECUs now are programmed to keep engine speed up to prevent stalling and minimise smoke when the engine is hovering around speeds around idle.

You should be in 3rd at ~30mph.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..