03 F-150 Tonneau Cover Straps

I'm new to this - just bought my first truck, a 2003 Ext. Cab F-150. Purchased it with a Ford (brand on tag - don't know who makes it) tonneau cover. It's the type that fits in a groove along the rails on the sides and back and has 3 removeable cross bars to support it.

When you don't need/want the cover, you can roll it up to store behind the cab. As the cover has a plastic runner along the side (that fits in the groove of the rail to hold it down), it doesn't seem to roll up very tightly. I'm afraid if it roll it too tight that the plastic will snap. So when rolled, the cover is very loose.

Q1 - How tight can you roll this cover without fear of breaking the track?

When rolled up, the cover is secured by two straps. Each has two parts, one inside the truck pan and the other is left hanging between the pan and the cab. When the cover is being used, I find the two straps outside and hanging down behind the cab blow up and snap around in the wind. I don't want them to scratch my new paint.

Q2 - What is the best way to secure these straps so they don't blow/snap all over the place?

Sorry if these seem like novice questions - I am!

Keith

Reply to
Krow