Expedition cuts off in heavy rain

Has anyone experienced their Expedition cutting off when it rains hard? This has happened to me at least 3 times, but the problem has always self-corrected. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Lee

There was a post about Excursions/SuperDuties doing this, it turned out the windshield was leaking water onto the ECM.

mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

I have the same problem with my F350. Another poster also said he had a leak on a rooftop clearance light that ran water down the windshield pillar to the ECM. I've tried to locate my leak with a hose, but so far no luck.

Reply to
pdb

Finding a leak can be a disaster. My suburban had a leak that turned out to be at the very top of the windshield. The water was running inside the windshield gasket... Good luck you will eventually find it but for now how about putting a piece of cardboard over the ecm. So that if anything leaked it would not drip onto the computer. I don't know where the ecm is on an expedition, but on my excursion its behind the drivers kick panel, which you stuff in a piece of cardboard w/o stopping air flow. This way next time it rains if it still cuts off and the cardboard is not wet then you can go and look for a problem in the wiring harness.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

Well, it rained last night and this morning my Air Bag light stayed on and the Overdrive light blicked all the way to work. I'm leaving the office to go to a meeting. I wonder what I'll find this time. I felt around under the dash, around the driver kick panel, then under the hood around the fuse box. Can't find water anywhere.

Reply to
pdb