1988 F-150 inline 6 cyl. 4wd. tank selector switch was used now won't start

my truck has front tank only, the rear tank removed. flipped swtch and truck revved about 4000 rpm and killed engine right away.truck will not start now.

------------------------------------- mottvillemama

Reply to
mottvillemama

In my old 1989 dual tank truck, the tank selector valve is operated by the fuel pressure of the low pressure in-tank fuel pump; the switch only selects which fuel pump runs, the front or rear. Perhaps the valve is stuck. You can try to bypass the selector valve if you haven't already and connect the lines from the front tank directly to the selector valve outputs.

Reply to
David

Flip the switch back.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

ge

When I went to one tank with my '89, Ford had a special kit to nullify the dual purpose reservoir (which is a flip/flop valve, driven, as someone said, by whichever tank pump is switched on - both tanks have a low pressure pump and, after the DPR, with my v8, there is a high pressure pump which delivers to the fuel rail).

Reply to
Ken

sage

That should have been 'Dual Function Reservoir',

Reply to
Ken

Sounds like the switch is bad, or the switching device under the truck. More likely the thing under the truck due to corrosion, or a corroded wire under there. Since you only have one tank, just wire direct to the working tank. You can either remove the dash switch, or just run both wires to the working tank. Eliminate the switching device completely. You dont need it, unless you plan to add a second tank in the future.

Reply to
piper