62 F100 Engine Sawp

Does anyone know if there is a complete swap kit from the 223 3-speed to a 289 4-speed (or a 351C)? Not just motor/trans mounts but the various linkages, alternator, radiator? Thanks!

Reply to
Old F-100

This should be a good project. I don't know of any kits, but I suggest you go to FordTrucks dot com and ask on that forum. You should get some good info/advice from those folks.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

It will be a nice project, but I doubt there is going to be a kit available. First question that comes to mind is how is the tranny mounted? My old ford van didnt have a rear tranny mount, the engine had four mounts, two at the bell housing area. The beauty of a framed vehicle is making a crosmember to mount a tranny isnt that hard, and can be done with simple hand tools, or a 3 piece universal crossmember from someplace like Advanced Adaptors. The engine mounts for a 289 should still be available. Forget the 351C, the front end isnt going to handle it, unless you can find a spring shop to build you some new springs, and I would be looking for a f-250 to swap the front axle, bigger king pins and bushing. . Since the 289 will be shorter than the 233, wiring harness wont be an issue. Because the throttle linkage is exactly that, linkage, it can be made from threaded rod. As for shift linkage, its going to be a custom, your probably going to put buckets in it, and move the fuel tank from in the cab to under the bed, so B&M floor shift. Radiator, 65 ford Mustang should work, Modine has a four core model that will more then cool it. while your at it, drum brakes are fine, these things had nice meaty drums and hefty shoes, but that master cylinder has to go, its time to move to a tandom design, which ford started using in 66 or 67. Might as well add a power booster too.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thank you for this excellent info - any issues with switching to an alternator from a generator - or could the generator be kept? Mine, like yours, does not have trans mounts at the rear of the box ...

Reply to
Old F-100

My uncle had a 64 F100. He blew the factory 289 and put in a 352 from a wrecked Galaxy 500. But he kept the original 3 speed on the column.

Years later He blew the 352 and put in a 390 from another wreck car.

But that was years ago and I was too young to know what parts he had to scavenge to make everything work.

I kinda wish the old truck was still in the family.

The 64 had a s> Does anyone know if there is a complete swap kit from the 223 3-speed to

Reply to
emcook

How about looking around for a a old 292 or 332 V8 that was native to that truck? Now that would be a cool project. The 292 was only a 2 bbl in 62 and a 2 or 4bbl in 63. The 332 was either a 2 or 4 bbl in 62. There was also a 302 back then but not same 302 as today at all. (the

302 as we know it today was born in 68) It was discontinued after 63 and had a 3.625 bore with a 3.66 stroke. It shared blocks and cranks with the 332, only the bores were different. Ford had a 401, a 477 and a 534 back in 62 for trucks too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Ford never had a 289 in 64 in a truck as it first appeared in 66. If it was stock it was a 292 or 332 V8. If it real was a 289, it did not come from the factory.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
emcook

Wow, thats a heck of a story with the brakes lol - I guess thats why they switched to dual masters lol

Reply to
Old F-100

Well, I have a 289 - but, I have heard good things about the 292 - one prob is that parts for the 223 are not always easy to find - but parts for a 289 are common because there was so many more made... how is it getting parts for a 292? My service manual has info on that old 302 ...

Reply to
Old F-100

I understand that having the engine is a part of it but you have a old classic truck and sometimes it is worth the effort to make it the way it was back then and a old restored V8 of the era would be cool. I have not heard any bad about the design of those engines. It is likely that bad rumors were started because any 292 today is over 40 years old and if it has not been properly rebuilt it would not take any abuse at all for long and hence they would blame the engine. Engines of that era where well built and if rebuilt I doubt you would have any problems with it. Same with 6's. With todays truck rage to have a 62 with a 62 style drive train would be realy something. As far as parts, you might not be able to get them at AutoZone but I have little doubt that you could find them reasonably priced with a little searching. In my book people are too quick to put a modern engine in old vehicals and given the rarity of some of them, extra effect should be made to keep them as stock like as possible and it would also add to their overall value as well. If I was redoing a old truck be it a Ford, Dodge or Chevy, I would try to uses stock type parts in it (drive trains of that era) to ehance their rarity.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

But then, there are those of us that cheat ..... :-)

(302 Mustang GT in a '55 F-100)

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch