88 F-150 doesnt start gets gas and spark and turns over...?

ok, heres the story...

I have an 88 Ford F-150 5.0. it always ran great; untill yesterday. It was a cold day, i went to start it as usual, it turned over a few times and started to spudder... then nothing, it kept cranking. I figured it was not getting gas, so i put in a new fuel pump. and brand new starter. (i know its getting gas cause i disconnected the gas line off the engine and gas was pumping all over the place) i know its getting spark cause (i pulled off a spark plug and grounded it with a screwdriver and tried turning it and it is getting spark)

Its getting gas, and getting spark, but its still not even fireing. Is there something i am missing? do fords have crank sensors on them?

now that it has a new starter and new fuel pump why is it not fireing up?

Reply to
Dexter

I'm always amazed at folks who replace stuff without figuring out what's wrong. I'm much too lazy for that. Especially the starter, as you already said it was cranking.

If you have a spark, my suggestion would be lack of fuel injector action (computer trouble). There is no crank sensor. One of the distributor pulses is short, and that tells the computer which one is which.

If you unplug the spout connector (it's a little jumper at your distributor) then the distributor will ignore the computer and always fire at 20 degrees BTDC. That can be useful when your computer is flaking out. You can force it to make sparks at the right time at least.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
Joe

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:27:42 +0000, Dexter rearranged some electrons to form:

Check the TFI module. Some parts stores will check them I think. Don't forget to put the grease on it before replacing it.

Reply to
David M

Stretched timing chain?

Reply to
Charles B. Summers

Does it have two fuel pumps? Some of them had one in the fuel tank and one in the line, both are needed for the truck to run properly. Try putting a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line to see what kind of pressure it's getting.

Reply to
FDRanger92

YES,

It was the timing Chain, i had it into a garage and they repaired it. I will update you tomorrow to let u know how its running.

tahnks for all the help everyone... and yes, i was kinda stupid to throw parts at it.

dexter

Reply to
Dexter