94 Ranger sometimes does not start when hot.

The engine is a 4 liter.The problem is very intermitant so I cannot take it to a shop. The danged thing finally acted up at my buddies house so he got to test it. He put his timing light on it and the timing light did nothing. The light did come on fine. Later my friend and I met up with a knowledgeable mechanic friend of his who kindly balanced his tires on a sunday. This mechanic suggested several possibilities including a bad eec power relay. He also said I could bring the truck by the shop and pay $75 to be told " It ain't doing it, I don't know." ;) Where is this relay located? Any other theories? Thanks.

Reply to
David Lee

Could be the coolant temp sensor, or the ECC relay--however the ECC relay problem usually occurs without any dependancy on engine temp. I'd put my money on the coolant sensor.

Remember there's usually two of them, one that the computer uses and one that has 1 wire coming from it that's used for your gauge in the dash. You want to replace the one with multiple wires, the other doesn't matter--it's only a sending unit, if it fails your gauge won't work but it won't affect the way the engine runs.

Good luck, make sure you have tefl> The engine is a 4 liter.The problem is very intermitant

Reply to
Uncle Banas