'97 F150 -- Stuck in Park

My '89 Probe had a similar problem (console shifter wouldn't come out of park), and even though my brake lights worked, it turned out that the brake light switch was bad anyhow. Put a new switch in, adjusted it per instructions, and voila! No more problem.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

I removed the cover under the instrument cluster -- between the cluster and the steering column -- and looked into the hole with my flashlight. I was able to see the safety lockout from there.

I used a can of spray cleaner to get the lockout free and moving again. It took a few days, but the problem returned. I went back in with the spray, then followed that with a Q-tip soaked woth 3-In-1 oil and wiped it around the mechanism. The lockout is pretty deep, and I had to tape the Q-tip to a BBQ skewwer to reach the lockout. It's been a week now, and cold weather for around here, and I can still shift out of P without any trouble.

The cover is held on with clips, all that is needed to remove it is a gentle nudge with a screwdriver. One clip on each side of the steering column. When the cover is off, you can see the lockout with a flashlight. You will have to wiggle the gear selector to see what's holding it, the mechanism is on the upper left side of the column as you are looking in from the driver'seat.

PS If you find the chime that tells you that you left the keys in the ignitioin to be a huge annoyance, the Ignition Lockset comes out very easily. Under the steering column there are three screws that hold the cover on, but there are four holes. The 4th hole is the lock that holds the tumbler4s in place. Using a suitable tool in this hole, turn the key to ON and pull the lockset out. There is a swtich that is actuated when the key is inserted, bend the switch so the contact is never allowed to close, then put the lockset back in. The chime will still operate for the lights being left on, but will not operate because the keys are in the ignition.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Invest in a can of 'Tri-Flow'. About the best stuff for that kind of work that there is.

Reply to
PeterD