brake rod llength

I have a sweet 67 f-100 no power brakes. I took from a good working 74 (im guessing) booster, and rod. The rod from brake pedal into booster. I completely rebuilt everything and installed a new master cylinder. routeds a vacuum line from intake. works wonderful. except, the rod is about 1 1/8" too long and the original is tooo short. I removed the brake pedal stop to check system and bleed. but i cant drive with a rod that long. my question is, Can I cut the rod and reweld it to the proper length without worry of breaking? Im gonna look around the junk yard tomarrow for a proper lenght rod, but that may be impossible to find. I trust my weld but do you think the rod will hold up under the stress? TIA scott

Reply to
Runningwater

the end that goes into the booster is rounded, isn't it ?

why not take it to a machine shop and have them machine off the excess ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

||I have a sweet 67 f-100 no power brakes. ||I took from a good working 74 (im guessing) booster, and rod. ||The rod from brake pedal into booster. ||I completely rebuilt everything and installed a new master cylinder. ||routeds a vacuum line from intake. ||works wonderful. ||except, the rod is about 1 1/8" too long and the original is tooo short. ||I removed the brake pedal stop to check system and bleed. ||but i cant drive with a rod that long. ||my question is, ||Can I cut the rod and reweld it to the proper length without worry of ||breaking? ||Im gonna look around the junk yard tomarrow for a proper lenght rod, but ||that may be impossible to find. ||I trust my weld but do you think the rod will hold up under the stress?

MCs used to come with several pushrods to fit additional applications. Most parts stores accumulated the excess. Stop by one of those old, independent stores and see if they have any laying at the end of the shelf gathering dust. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B