Break-in for Ranger

I purchased a new Ranger and I'd like to pull my trailer with it - about

1500 pounds. I've got about 70 miles on the Ranger - any idea how many non-trailer miles I should put on the truck first?
Reply to
Dave Wyman

My gramps had told me a long time ago that after buying a new vehicle the break-in should be as:

For the first 500 miles don't take it over 60 or drive to long at one speed...Vary it around a bit...After 500 miles, change the oil & filter....after 10K, change the tranny fluid & filter....

Now I know trucks/cars have changed a LOT since my Gramps' days and it may not be necessary any more, but it's engrained in my head and I still follow it. I have never had a tranny problem before in any vehicle and never had internal engine problems or oil leaks before (including a 94 Saturn which has known oil consumption problems...) I even got 250K out of a 93 t-bird with only maintenance when I sold it...But again, there are other people here that will probably tell you it is unnecessary to do what I do. As for towing a trailer, I'd wait until after the 500 miles....(just an opinion everybody else, so don't flame me too bad, ok? :)

IYM....

Reply to
IYM

About 1000 miles give or take will do it and you have more than engine to worry about. The rear axle ring and pinion needs to break in and it runs hotter during break in too and towing makes it worse. After 1000 miles change oil then tow kinda easy till next oil change around 3000 miles and at that time I would change engine oil again AND rear axle lube then follow your "normal" schedule for HD service which towing is considered.

Reply to
SnoMan

All good advice. The only thing I would add is change your oil again at 1500. You will still get some small metal particles from break in during this change.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"Break In" is all described in your owner's manual... Crack it open and see what it says..

Reply to
invalid unparseable