DESPERATE for rear disc brake BACKING PLATE 99 Econoline SD

I got plenty of Rustopleum paint.

Reply to
George Hammond

NO, IF YOU LOOK THRU THE ABOVE POSTS....Ford's part site lists the backing plate for either 230 or 350....and if you search your search....in the abov e posts yo'll find a post on how to do it with a recommend for a parts stor e....if that store doesn't have the part then you can begin searching parts stores city by city....rust belt and Texas/OK...try McHaik.....

I'd divide costs by truck's projected life in years.

Reply to
avagadro7

You can't do much without a picture and Ford sin't into pictures.. But I know the F350SD and the Econoline350SD take the SAME IDENTICAL parking brake shoes.... so they must be the same pressing configuratiopn. In fact I located an Econoline 350 SD backding plate GASKET and can see that the 4 bolt holes are moved slightly from the picture of the F350 SD backing plate (Dorman

924-224) but obviously can be simply re-drilled and made to fit the econoline.
Reply to
George Hammond

No kiddin !! I asked the guy at the Ford garagfe about this and he said its a "discontinued part" and "supply and demand" has taken over for the few remaining plates and they simply jacked the price up $600 bucks so only the big spenders can get one. No shit !

Reply to
George Hammond

Yeah.... actually it isn't my Econoline Van.... It belongs to a friend of mine who is a builder and knows nothing about computers. I'm a writer and use the Internet all the time... so he asked me to search the Internet and see if I could find the part for him.... problem is the truck has disc brakes but inside the rear discs is a hollowed out BRAKE DRUM HOLE which takes two small brake shoes which act as the PARKING BRAKE (aka emergency brake) and if that dosen't work you can't get an INSPECTION STICKER.....which is what his problem is... the left rear backing plate is rusted right thru and the emergency brake won't work and they won't put an inspection sticker on it. Meanwhile, there is no way you can get one of these rare discontinued parts from Ford without paying a $600 ransom. However, I think I found a way out for him by using an F350 SD backing plate which is obtainable from Dorman ($60/pair) and simply re-drilling the 4 bolt holes.... but I need to be sure before he orders the parts from Dorman and has his mechanic tear the axle apart again. the reason I know the pressing are the same for the F350 and the Econo 350 is that they take the SAME IDENTICAL parking brake shoes. the only thing that could be different is the bolt holes... whcich I know they are since I found an Econo350 gasket and you can see the bolt holes are moved from the Dorman F350 part which I have a ;picture of. I have a nice picture of Dorman 924-224 and 924-212 which are for the F350 SD..... what I need now is a picture of the Econoline 350 SD.... although I think I can check under his Van and take a few measurements from the outside of the backing plate which will tell me if its the same except for the bolt spacing... whew.... knowing how to work a computer can get you into alot of trouble nowadays !!!

Reply to
George Hammond

yeah.... notice that the BACKING PLATES for the 1999 Econoline 350 SD are UNAVAILABLE.

Speaking of ROCK AUTO, here are pictures of a guy replacing the rear backing plate on an F350 SD truck using the DORMAN 924-212 backing platers:

This is EXACTLY the backing plate that I think can be re-drilled to fit my friends Econoline 350 SD. Notice this guy got the Dorman place from ROCK AUTO.

Reply to
George Hammond

YEAH I READ IT CAWS I FOUND IT...

the part number inserts into Ford's Part Search box leading you directly to the price...

under your VIN under rear axle disc under brake parts is your part

even here prob

good luck...I'm outta here.

use a torch.....Sears sells an oxy torch for $50

Reply to
avagadro7

click the diagram....press control and +....

or enter the number in the parts number box on the first page

211 0r 212 with the mount 2B636 ?

could be the originals weren't properly painted or prepped for paint.

I have a story...

friend had a 4x4 Ford truck...the 4WD computer went out.....parts man said bad news Dude...costs $1400..

expletive deleted said friend !

eyeyyeyhahhahahha said the parts man...

THERE'S TWO OF THEM !

Reply to
avagadro7

Na, na, na..... part 2211 is a backing plate for DRUM BRAKES not DISC BRAKES. You're not even in the correct ball park.

Reply to
George Hammond

Hammond, get a grip. The info diagram is accessed from the top line disc brake E350...diagram shows disc brake equipment.

Reply to
avagadro7

You missed cowboy. The above URL is a FORD PARTS WEBSITE.

An E350 backing plate WILL NOT fit an Econoline E350 Super Duty.

FORD told me the backing plate for the 99 Econoline350 Super Duty is a DISCONTINUED PART but they still have have a few available and gave me a written INVOICE QUOTE for (2) Part # XC2Z*2209*AB for $795.47 for two backing plates and brake shoes.

You gotta be kidding me.

Reply to
George Hammond

right SD or E ? who would know ? but the price is the same.

what is the difference ? well one is super and the other is not. Modificati on isn't the answer as both come in at the same price.

Hey, you wanted super, you got it.

Question was availability. Divide cost by truck's life in years. The truck wil last your lifetime if you maintain it.

are you now a member of the good buy no parts club ? not yet.

price. yeah, I see that as a mid '60's GT price level. ?....

at Ford's ethics level you need to absorb the idea some parts prices are el evated with a sellers' understanding of the market. One factor is who buys the limited parts stock ? people with $$$ to maintain the exisiting fleet s o all the other remaining parts have an ongoing market to the last bearing or to Joe Willy High School who'll unk his new parts for a used chicken coo p ?

cough it up.

Reply to
avagadro7

Na... NO WAY am I paying FORD $800 for $80 worth of parts.

This calls for a hi-tech solution.

My investigation shows that the backing plate for an F350-SD which is dirt cheap on the aftermarket (Dorman-$60/pair) will actually fit the Econoline350SuperDuty.... all you have to do is re-drill the 4 mounting bolt holes which is a piece of cake since the caliper mouning bracket can be used as a drill guide... you could do it accurate to a thousandth of an inch in a bench vice with a hand held half inch drill for chrissakes.

I discovered this when I realized the F350-SD and the Econ350-SD both take the same IDENTICAL parking brake shoes which means they must be identical except for the mounting bolt pattern.

So, all I gotta do is buy Dorman 924-224 or Dorman 924-212 which ever is appropriate for the Econo caliper position .......for $60......... and the $800 problem is solved.

Reply to
George Hammond

Na... NO WAY am I paying FORD $800 for $80 worth of parts.

This calls for a gorilla--tech solution.

My investigation shows that the backing plate for an F350-SD which is dirt cheap on the aftermarket (Dorman-$60/pair) will actually fit the Econoline350SuperDuty.... all you have to do is re-drill the 4 mounting bolt holes which is a piece of cake since the caliper mouning bracket can be used as a drill guide... you could do it accurate to a thousandth of an inch in a bench vice with a hand drill for chrissakes!

I discovered this when I realized the F350-SD and the Econ350-SD both take the SAME IDENTICAL parking brake shoes which means they must be identical except for the mounting flange bolt pattern.

So, all I gotta do is buy Dorman 924-224 or Dorman 924-212 which ever is appropriate for the Econo caliper position .......for $60......... and the $800 "impossible" problem is solved.

Reply to
George Hammond

right....what's 10% ?

what would change from E to S at that point ? Ford attached a HD axle...did Ford attach 2 diferent HD axles ? Does not look cost effective. Enter Murphy...

brake shoes are not the factor...the flange/axle housing/bearing size/shaft size is the answer...brakes just stand outboard of your problem.

when I've stumbled on the problem I found the pressing was always different as extra holes and pressing complexity for strength surfaced.

try

or similar also in Google Images.

figure getting the Dorman positioned to compare the stamping in the store to facilitate a give back...uh...bring a template off the disassembled S axle flange ?

Reply to
avagadro7

Try a direct IMAGES search

My street vehicle is an E250 GT...

We park across the street .....the laptop/Mifi system is in the truck... From an upper income RV winter park. Noise from the park suggests the plates are basically dfferent.

Reply to
avagadro7

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXX

avagadro7

your parts man is THEPARTSTORE

GooImages strikes again.. my project

avagadro7

Dunno ? I don't think it matters.

The backing plate ONLY SERVES to hold the parking brake drum shoes. Everything else is "outboard" of the backing plate and doesn't matter. Since the Econo350-SD and the F350-SD use the SAME IDENTICAL parking brake shoes, the backing plate pressing must be identical except for the mounting flange bolt pattern.... whicvh suggests simply re-drilling the 4 holes.

Na... the pressing has no "complexity" it is an absolutely flat plate in the brakwe shoe area... with a outer "sust shile" collar.

Reply to
George Hammond

I don't think so since they BOTH support the IDENTICALLY same parking brake shoes.

Reply to
George Hammond