EGR Flow Inefficient - 1998 Ranger

I have a '98 Ranger showing the EGR Flow Inefficient code. It starts off and is ok for the most part after I get going. I'd like to solve this but understand that just throwing a new EGR valve at it may not solve the problem. Has anyone here fixed this problem successfully who would share the tech?

Thanks,

WD

Reply to
Willy Doer

Most likely the DPFE sensor, or the two small tubes that run to it. This sensor measures EGR flow and reports to the ECU. About $70 last time I bought one. Small chance that the EGR valve is actually at fault.

If you have the 3.0, the DPFE is mounted on the top of the intake manifold, facing forward. It's about 1.5" x 3" and has 1 electrical connection and 2 vac lines. I am not familiar with placement on the other engines, but if you follow 2 small pipes from the Exhaust manifold, you will find it.

Reply to
gw

But beware!, there is *much* information on the web about this, (including those who have changed this to no avail). Consensus is basically this: if over 100K miles, chances are that you have plugged up/restricted passages in the upper manifold/EGR ports, and if less than that mialage, yes, more liekely the DPFR (Differential Pressure Feedback 'EGR'") or both.

Good luck.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Here is a good primer on how it works:

Mr Wizzard

Thanks for the informitave reply, this was the case here as well. I replaced the DPFE sensor, disconnected the battery and restarted. No check engine light and my truck wasn't much better off. It still runs rough on take off and the check engine light is on.

What's involved in unclogging those passageways? Is it tought to do?

Thanks,

WD

Reply to
Willy Doer

Its a $55.00 part from O'Riellys auto parts, they can cross reference the OEM part # for you and for that little, whats it goin to hurt to change it out??? Consensus

Reply to
Phillip Kurtz