Full-size Bronco strut bushing

I have a '93 full-size bronco. Both strut bushings were replaced about 3 years ago. Now, the passenger side strut bushing is shot. I can't readily explain why.

My question, is this a difficult repair. I'm sure I own the necessary tools, including air tools. Is this something a weekend mechanic should undertake or should I leave it to the professionals? I suspect an alignment will be needed upon completion.

B Rock

Do you mean the radius-arm bushing?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

you can do it. hard, but not bad. old john

Hello, B! You wrote on Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:47:59 GMT:

B> My question, is this a difficult repair. I'm sure I own the necessary B> tools, including air tools. Is this something a weekend mechanic B> should undertake or should I leave it to the professionals? I suspect B> an alignment will be needed upon completion.

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
ajeeperman

put on your glasses before reading posts. john

Hello, Spdloader! You wrote on Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:22:42 GMT:

S> Spdloader

??>> My question, is this a difficult repair. I'm sure I own the necessary ??>> tools, including air tools. Is this something a weekend mechanic ??>> should undertake or should I leave it to the professionals? I suspect ??>> an alignment will be needed upon completion. ??>>

??>> B

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
ajeeperman

Broncos don't have struts john.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You can do it if you have a good jack and stands to go along with your air tools. Do yourself a favor and use the urathane bushings. They greatly improve the way the beast drives by making it tighter.

Reply to
lugnut

bull

the 'brace' that goes from the lower A-frame to the frame is called a strut

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I was speaking of struts as opposed to shocks, and, I was trying to ascertain if he was talking about the radius arm bushings when he said "strut".

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Another question, is what "A" frame are you talking about?

I'm only picturing the front suspension, as it has TTB, and not "A" arms.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Sorry, I did mean 'radius arm' bushing.

B Rock

If they've been done before, then all you have to do is lock the ebrake, chock the front wheels, and unbolt the brackets at the frame, replace the bushings, then re-install using at least grade 5 hardware.

It's an easy job if they've been done before.

If they were only partially done before, or not done at all, you'll need to remove the factory rivets in the brackets. You can torch 'em, or use an impact air hammer, or drill, but be careful of the fuel and brake lines running inside the frame rails.

Using a torch is the fastest, but is the most dangerous, and you run the risk of causing more damage than you are repairing if you aren't comfortable or experienced using one.

It's not easy to do if they've never been apart before.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

They've been done before. The brackets are bolted on now (no rivets). You wrote, replace with grade 5 hardware. Couldn't I simply re-use the existing hardware?

B Rock

As long as the existing hardware is good quality and in good condition, then you should re-use it.

Sounds like you're in good shape to do the repair.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thank you.

B Rock

You're welcome, hope it turns out fine.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Also be careful when removing the shocks..when I had my Club Wagon shocks replaced a few years ago, the doofus at the shop ripped off the shock mount stud on the radius arm. Instead of just replacing the arm (which was something like a $65 part) he tried drilling out the stud and use a bolt. A week later I was back in the shop with a dangling shock. So then he tried welding a bolt to the arm. Three days later I was back in. He then said "Well, I didn't want to spend the money on the new arm but I guess I'll have to now." This after using probably over $150 of his boss's shop time trying to fix his lameness.

It gets better...I asked the shop owner's wife, who had been great and was actually very apologetic, to go ahead and replace the bushing too, of course I would pay for that. She quoted me a set of aftermarket bushings for $70. I said no thanks, a factory part is about $20 and since we only need one bushing, just order it with the new arm.

Well they went ahead and put in the aftermarket bushing and tried to charge me for the whole set. I said I didn't authorize his bushings, but a factory one. She told me "OK, then, I'll take the new one out and put in the old." I said fine by me. The owner then called me and said "No, I've already spent way too much time on this. Do you work for free?" I told him when me or my my staff screws up, sometimes I have to work for free to save the customer and make it right. He said , "Just pay me for the one bushing at $35." I said "I'll pay you for one factory bushing, $20." He told me "Blow it out your ear and come get your damn van," then hung up. When I got the van home I noticed they neglected to re-attach the sway bar, it was hanging by one bolt. Fixed that myself.

If anyone is interested, this was at Mr. Muffler in on Maple Road in Walled Lake, MI about 5 years ago. I tried to throw as much business his way because his neice was an employee of mine when I had a store in Walled Lake, but she was off in college or something when this stuff happened. I guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo