FORD EXPEDITION ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WITH HARD RAIN

I HAVE A FORD EXPEDITION EVERY NOW AND THEN WHEN IT RAINS HARD ALL MY GADGES GO BONKERS, WINDOWS WON'T WORK AND TRUCK WON'T START. HIS HAPPENED ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO, WE GOT A NEW ALTERNATOR. SEEMED TO BE FINE FOR A WHILE JUST RECENTLY IT HAPPENED AGAIN. TRIED JUMPING IT AND IT WON'T START. NOW I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANY RENTAL COMPANY THAT HAS ANYTHING LARGE ENOUGH TO PUT AN EXPEDITION ON SO WE CAN TOW IT HOME.

HAS ANYONE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH FORD ELECTRICAL SYSEMS?

Reply to
caljune34

First, turn off your caps lock then call a towing company that has a flat bed towing rig. I had to have my extended van towed once this way.

Reply to
Warren Weber

STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS and the clean the connections at both ends of both battery cables.

Reply to
JimV

All caps is considered SHOUTING!!!!

Reply to
I. Care

Yes, I've seen similar on F-Series. The problem is most likely in the GEM, the Generic Electrical Module. Everything in the car runs thru it, and if you have a windshield leak, they're prone to accumulating moisture and shorting out or corroding. So, long story short, the problem is a bad GEM, but the GEM has failed due to a leak that allows water to get to it. Fix both problems.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Good job CJB, but you forgot to mention that if you have water intrusion in the GEM then you have water in the CJB as well, which is not good cause it houses a couple of important relays (that you cant change out, without changing the CJB). What that translates into is replacing BOTH the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) and the CJB (central junction box) becuase they are connected directly to one another. The water usually drips from the windshield onto the main harness and finds it way to the CJB, then it migrates from there to the lower GEM. Before you go throwing parts at it, see if you can look at the wiring loom going in to your CJB (aka fuse panel), which is down by the E-brake on dr. side, and see if you can get water out of it, or if it is showing signs of water being present before. If you can, then you have the aforementioned condition and need to replace BOTH the CJB and the GEM.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Just don't tell my wife that a CJB can be replaced. ;-)

CJB

Reply to
CJB

LMAO!!! Good one CJB

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Only by something like a CJ 2A or any MB

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Too lazy to google that reference, but it sounds like a Champion plug.

CJb

Reply to
CJB

Ok make it easy, MB was the designation of military jeeps during WW2. The CJ 2A was the first series of civilian jeeps followed b the CJ3A, which was followed by the CJ3B series. As there was only the CJ3B model, many shorten it to just CJB I thought perhaps your handle might make you a flat fender jeep owner.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I gotcha now. I'm familiar with the CJ 5 and CJ 7, so i shoulda hit on that one. CJB is my initials.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

There's a blast from the past! I had one of those for a while. completely stock except for the 327 chevy. They never built them the same after that.

Reply to
Steve Barker