Explorer questions

My son just got a 2002 Explorer. He took it to the Ford dealer to have the transmission fluid and filter changed. They told him the filter is buried inside the transmission and can't be changed without disassembling the transmission, but would be glad to sell him a $120 transmission flush. Are they feeding him a line about the transmission filter?

Also, where is the fill plug on the rear axle?

Thanks!

Mark

Reply to
Nemisis

I have never done a 2002 explorer but typically the filter in in the tranny pan so it has to be removed to change it (the pan). A trip to someplace like a Advanced Auto Parts store will confirm filter style and location) I am not a fan of power flushing a tranny unless fliud in it is burnt or has water in it. Filler plugs for axles are typically on rear cover or on the passenger side of differentail just below centerline of pinion about the center of pig (front to back)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan