F250 Diesel rough idle. Need DIY advice please!

My 1989 F250 Diesel is idling very roughly and has died while stopped several times. I've always been able to restart it, but it is happening more frequently. (Just had a new transmission put in, too).

Which should I replace myself first to try to fix the problem?

  1. Fuel filter
  2. Glow plugs
  3. Replace or clean fuel injectors
  4. Other?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes Schott

How old is the fuel filter? If you're asking that question it might mean that the filter hasn't been changed in awhile. It is absolutely essential to keep the fuel filters clean on these diesels.

Glow plugs have no bearing on rough idle.

Fuel injectors MIGHT be bad, but unless you're way over 200K miles I doubt it.

JH

Wes Schott wrote:

Reply to
J Harris

Wow, that was fast!

Actually, I don't know how long it has been as I inherited it from someone. It has about 178K miles on it mostly pulling a large 5th wheel RV trailer.

I will change the filter tommorrow.

I have been told the fuel filter is on the left side as you face the engine well, and not inline underneath the truck. True?

Thanks.

Reply to
Wes Schott

True i,it looks like an oil filter some have a drain on the bottom.

Reply to
JSMMV