Factory Radio Q

I have an RV with a separate "house" battery that runs all of the interior lights, fans, etc.

I want to power the factory radio from the house batter as well, instead of the starter batter.

I figure that there must be multiple power leads in; one for the continuous power (to keep the station memory), one for ignition power so it turns on with the ignition, one for the dash lights so it dims when the dash is dimmed, and maybe more.

Also, is there a power antenna take off on the radio? I need to power an FM modulator so I can feed my DVD/TV sound through the factory radio.

The radio has a harness that must have 20 wires running into it.

Any tips?

-Dondo

Reply to
Captain Dondo

The modulator probably only draws a few milliamps when it's not in use, so you could probably get away with leaving it hot all the time. Otherwise the other thing to do since you're not wiring it to the ignition ON position would be to put it on a switch. You might be able to put it on the power antenna lead, unless I'm mistaken, only if it has a shut off switch in the power antenna when it reaches it's maximum and minimum positions. If it only gets power to raise and lower, then wiring the modulator to that lead would be useless.

What is the year of the vehicle? (Or vehicle that the radio came out of)

One way would be to find the pin out descriptions for the wiring harness and use a test light on the power antenna lead. I think it may be blue, I think yellow is the continuous power for the memory.

Good luck!

Reply to
IanCT

It's a 2000 E150 Econoline. Any idea on where to get the pin out for the harness?

-Dondo

Reply to
Captain Dondo

Reply to