HELP 1986 F250 4WD Clutch

My 1986 F250 clutch does not disengage completely. What needs service, replacement? Why? The transmission is 4sp, clutch is hydralic. The hyd resovoir is full. There are no leaks at the master or slave. Peddal "feels" normal both in compression & release, not too soft or hard. The clutch doesn't shimmy. The throw out bearing is quiet. Pilot bearing is quiet. The clutch never slips, not even under load (horse trailer).

It requires force to shift out of gear (1st & 2nd) while accelerating, then after rolling to a stop, requires force to shift back into these lower gears. The clutch remains partially engaged with the peddal to the floor! Pumping the pedal before shifting into 1st does not help. There does not appear to be any adjustment of the hydraulic slave that I can make. (My old 65 Triumph was a hyd clutch type and did have adjustment on the slave)

The truck is old, 176k with original clutch. But the engine & transmission are tough. That and I'm very easy easy on transmissions, clutches, engines tires etc.

My experience with worn clutches is that they slip under load and won't fully lock and that a worn clutch releases with very little clutch peddal. This is quite different than my symptoms.

Can the transmission oil be causing this? It's relatively fresh & topped off.

I have the 86 factory manuals. The TS guide simply says replace clutch & or pressure plate.

What gives?

Thanks, Phil Salinas, Ca.

Reply to
penglish1

Possibly, the slave cylinder has moved to the rear in it's bracket. That would account for the apparent lack of full motion in the clutch.

Reply to
Tyrone