Tranny/Clutch Problem

Just want to get some opinions.

I have a 96 SE Gen4 5spd. At 108K miles I had the dealership rebuild my tranny because the input bearing let go. It worked great until the other day. Suddenly, I couldn't shift properly as I found the clutch wasn't disenging all the way. I could get it to work if I double pump the clutch. I know it sounds like a hydraulics problem. I checked it out when I got home and found it working most of the time but erratically. I also hear an intermittent metal noise that sounds like letting a screwdriver resting on a spinning metal wheel. The clutch seems erratic, not soft and will hold once depressed. I now have 185K. Seems internal to me. I am not keen on dropping 2K for another dealer repair and will probably dive into this myself. Is this a weak spot on the car?

PGG

Reply to
Paul G. Girouard

You might have a problem with the input shaft bearing with that kind of noise, but it could be your clutch is worn, especially if it is hard to shift in 1st and reverse. Dropping the tranny on a Maxima is easier than in a lot of cars. Unlike the Haynes manual description, you do NOT need to drop the downpipe exhaust nor the crossmember--makes it a lot easier. Definitely do this yourself and you can probably determine the faulty problem once the tranny has been removed. Unfortunately, your car may be down while you order the necessary parts (if not part of a clutch kit: throwout bearing, pilot bushing, etc.).

I recommend OEM (not Key Value), or Exedy clutches.

CW

Reply to
CW

Might be a broken clutch pivot ball, have to remove the tranny to do it.

Unless you drive like Michael Shumacher, the cheaper dealer "key value" clutch should work fine. I've installed a bunch and never had the first problem with them. Daiken clutches also seem to work fine. But if you -are- rough on your car, get the best clutch you can find.

Reply to
Steve T

I was wondering if a piece of the disc broke off and is kicking around in there.

My orig>

Reply to
SnowDog

Sounds like you drive like Michael Shumacher and broke a dampener spring.

A: Top posting

Q: What's the most confusing thing on usenet

Reply to
Steve T

Cute. *Almost* as irritating as not snipping.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman