how to remove revets for body mount brakets?

88 ranger - 217 k miles and the front brakets have split where the rubber bushing sits. The leaf spring braket to frame could stand replacing too.

Where can I buy these brakets - body shop or online? thanks, john

Reply to
John Cadella

I've been parting out several older Ford trucks lately and wanted to save everything, including some riveted-on brackets. I just took the cutoff tool and cut an X in the rivet head down to the frame, and then used the air chisel to remove the head and a punch to drive the rest of the rivet out. You can then just use Grade 8 bolts to replace the bracket.

Keith

John Cadella wrote:

Reply to
Keith

That's not a place for grade 8 bolts. they are too brittle. Use grade 5 bolts here.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Is that really true?

Going by what you say... the grade 8 bolts are stronger...

-but- when/if they do fail they will/can break?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

That's the reason that is not a good place for Grade 8 bolts, because they do break before bending or stretching. There is a lot of pull and push on those mounts. The grade 5 bolts have almost the same tensile strength as grade 8, but will stretch and bend before breaking. Grade 8 will just snap off, and when one snaps, the others would most likely snap within hours or days, depending on the stress at the time.

For further information, the grade 5 bolts have 3 bars on the head and grade 8 bolts have 5 bars on the head. Go figure that out!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Hmmm...thanks for the info. I'll keep that tidbit in mind.

Keith

Reply to
Keith