How To wire distibutor directly to the coil 460 addition to 1972 ford truck

I just dropped a 460 into my 1972 f100. I dont have any of the electronics from the 1983 f250 that the motor came out of, so I need to wire the distributor directly to the coil (if possible). If anyone has a clue please fill me in!! Thank you.

Reply to
m_a_volkerts

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 16:13:20 -0700, m_a_volkerts rearranged some electrons to say:

You'll need at least the ignition module if you have a magnetic trigger distributor. Alternatively, you could use an aftermarket ignition such as MSD.

david

Magnetic Trigger, How do i tell? The distributor that I have has something that looks like it is in place of a points set. Is this Magnetic Trigger?? If so that sucks! Thank you for the response.

Reply to
m_a_volkerts

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:21:10 -0700, m_a_volkerts rearranged some electrons to say:

Actually, if it's a 1983 model, it could be a TFI distributor.

Google is that way -->

Reply to
david

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:21:10 -0700, m_a_volkerts rearranged some electrons to say:

Ford magnetic trigger has three wires coming out of it.

If you'll go to the link I gave you and look at the installation instructions for your favorite MSD box, they'll tell you how to hook up various types of ignition systems to their box.

Reply to
david

I found a points distributor, cap, rotor, and wirekit for 70 dollars. I can just put the points distributor from a 70s model 460 in this newer model on right?

Reply to
m_a_volkerts

I found a points distributor, cap, rotor, and wirekit for 70 dollars. I can just put the points distributor from a 70s model 460 in this newer model on right?

But why??!

CJB

Reply to
CJB