Motor mount vibration

I have a 95 Ford Aerostar. The engine had bad motor mounts so I replaced them with ones I got at Advance auto parts... well I was shocked... literally The Vibration was 10 times worse then when I replaced them. The Vibration in the steering wheel was horrible.. it did die down conciderably but there is still major vibration under accelleration and idle.. why would it do this ?

Reply to
Wolfie 31

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:23:44 -0400, Wolfie 31 rearranged some electrons to form:

Most likely the real problem has nothing to do with motor mounts.

Reply to
David M

I bought a set from them for my F150 w/5.0L when I replaced the pan gasket. Even though they were a bolt in fit, it had a vibration at idle that was unacceptable and under power, it had a vibration I had never felt in a V8. I got the boxes out of the trash and double checked the #'s. The ones they sold me were for earlier models than my truck. I reomved them and went back for the correct ones. The correct mounts are more than double the price and look just like the incorrect mounts but, there is no vibration that you can feel with the specified part number. I can only assume that the earlier model mounts are made of a much harder material and transmit more vibration.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I forgot to mention that many of the OEM mounts are oil filled to damp vibration. Some inexpensive replacement mounts for the V6 are not oil filled to damp the vibration. The oil filled mounts are much more expensive.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I agree unless mount is defective or improperly install.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Just a few ideas... Misfiring? Detonation? Bad Harmonic Balancer? Bad torque converter?

Reply to
djdave

Those are all good points, but I'd go with something related to the motor mounts since the problem change dramatically when the mounts were replaced.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for y'alls advice .. I concur it is motor mounts.. due to the fact the problem worsened.. I also didn't know about The difference in quality as I was never given a choice.. just that that was the part and thats what I was given . whereas , on other parts there is usually a good , better and best . So I basically learned a expensive lesson.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Wolfie 31

I would stick with the motor mounts. I had a 76 Pinto once and put a 302 in (not an easy task) and I had a vibration while at idle and worse during accelleration. The culprit was the starter hitting the cross member. So I would check to see if these are the right mounts for this van.

Reply to
Doc

Thanks Well they matched the ones that are on there, but you never know .

Reply to
Wolfie 31