Opinions on lift kit for F-250

I want to add a *slight* lift to my 1996 F-250 4X4, nothing crazy-maybe

2". I found a kit that basically uses 'helper' leaf springs in both the front & rear of the truck to gain a lift of 2". No other mods are needed (so says the ad). My question is...will the truck tend to "road walk" after this mod? What I mean by that is will I constantly be fighting the steering wheel? (someone told me that it sometimes happens when you add a lift kit) and will I have to change anything with the angle of the driveshaft input? Again, I know 2" is not radical, but I want to make sure I don't screw anything up by doing this! Thanks for any help. comments or opinions~The Doctor
Reply to
The Doctor

Not if you have a competent front end guy do a fresh alignment on the truck when you are done. Keep in mind competent Ford front end alignment guys are hard to find...

Before you let them put it on there rack make sure they guarantee their work. If they can't get it right, you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I know what you mean about front-end guys....I bought this truck new back in July '96 with 11 miles on the clock....since day one the front end was mis-aligned. The front tires looked something like this \ / When I brought it back to Ford Service to inquire as to if this was a problem, they said, "oh no, not at all-your truck is within spec" So after I chewed my first set of front tires after less than 10,

000 miles (I think it was actually around 6500) I brought it back again to have them check it. Nope-still within spec. I've got to admit...the guys at this particular Ford dealership (Colonial Ford, Danbury , CT) are a bunch of ass-clowns. The only guy worth his mettle is the parts counter person. Anyway, I ended up bringing it to a mom & pop-type front end place and $85.00 and an hour later I was " within MY spec" I kid you not, that truck has not needed realignment since then, & that was close to 175,000 miles ago! So anyway, that's my story, but I will take your advice & when everything is said & done, I'll make sure I bring it back to that shop! Best~The Doctor
Reply to
The Doctor

There ya go. Good Luck

Reply to
My Names Nobody

With a 2" lift, you shouldn't need to worry about the drive line angles. I have a 78 F150 with a 429PI under the hood and the engine swap necessitated a four inch lift to clear the oil sump above the front differential. Driveshaft angles were made more acute but not to ther point where it was necessary to rotate the rear or front diffs. It took me five different shops, however, before I found an alignment tech that was able to put a good, solid, steady alignment on the truck. The only advice I would give you is to go with a top of the line lift kit. I would recommend one that used different springs not one that puts blocks under your stock spring. When you lift a vehicle, you completely change the front end steering and suspension geometry and these changes should be compensated for by a kit that has been engineered and designed for your truck. A couple that I remember - Skyjacker and Rough Country. I don't know if they are still in business or not. Good luck though.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave and Trudy