Poll: Price of Diesel

We're about $2.20 in Detroit and gas $1.99. This diesel vs. gas issue puzzles me more and more. Now that they are screwing everybody on diesel more than ever and you pay more for the diesel option, does it save anything to purchase a diesel? I see so many cases of expensive diesel repairs under 100K, which offsets the mileage gain. Unless one needs the torque, why bother in a pickup to upgrade to diesel?

Reply to
Al Bundy

It's actually a very simple answer. The oil that is being refined is being refined past the point of Diesel so they are refining more gas to keep the prices lower. So the price of Diesel goes up because of lower supply. That is the answer I get from a refinery friend.

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P

No reason, If you don't do a lot of heavy towing or heavy hauling...

Unless you just like driving a pickup with "all that power", Not unlike owning and driving a 428CJ Mustang, you don't do that when counting beans your highest transportation priority...

:-)

Reply to
351CJ

In Northwest Indiana, From $1.99.9 to 2.09.9 today!

Reply to
Eagle Creek

Ya that's it, sounds as plausible as all the other BULLSHIT excuses the Big Oil Companies come up with to continually raise the cost of our petroleum products, while continually earning "RECORD PROFITS"...

Hook-Line-Sinker...

Have you listened to the Enron trader/power company recordings?

?f=/c/a/2004/06/17/MNG4H777BG1.DTL
These thinks are not "happenstance" they are by design, and they only happen because the vast majority of Americans are overly apathetic...

Reply to
351CJ

Houston Texas suburbs $2.05.

Reply to
Martin Rogoff

I have had my diesel since July 2000. This summer I was paying 15 to

20 cents less for diesel than gas. So far diesel is always cheaper in summer and more expensive in winter than gas. I think oil companies used to get reamed over home heating oil shortages and high prices. Now as winter approaches they change things to increase the supply of heating oil and that creates a tighter diesel supply along with the higher prices.
Reply to
Martin Rogoff

I can go from one end of the county to the other. In the Yuppie neighborhoods it is selling today for 239.9. I just paid 227.9. If I go down in the low rent areas, I can get it for as low as 224.9. There is no reason for the difference other than charging whatever the traffic will bear.

Reply to
Sam_I_Am

I was wondering if I spoke too soon after posting that, so I tried to notice prices yesterday and saw several in that range in north Raleigh

- but none cheaper. I'll make a note of specific stations today.

Reply to
scrape

This fuel price thing is very complicated! Previous posts have pointed out the primary problems such as winter heating oil needs driving up prices; different areas of the country (i.e. California) requiring lower sulphur content; satisfying the gas guzzling public by refining more gas than diesel; etc. However, there are several external factors affecting the prices as well, the major one being China which is buying a lot of petrol from the middle east and is now a net importer of oil even though they have a lot of reserves and is a country that has done far less exploration than most. You also have the problem in Russia which has kept the owner of the largest oil company there in jail claiming he owes billions in taxes...so much for democracy there. I'm sure the feds and states could care less since they get a LOT of taxes from the increases. Remember, there are two ways to tax fuel...by the gallon and by the actual price. Many states, counties and cities have taxes which are computed on the actual price of a gallon rather than on a per gallon basis. So when the price per gallon to the distributor goes up, so does the tax. That's also why you don't hear anyone in any California government (city, state, county) complaining because of housing prices. When a house valued at $230,000 a few years is sold for $500,000 the new owner is not protected by Proposition 13 (for those who don't know this is a tax increase limit passed by voters here many years ago to protect widows and retirees from obscene tax increases). As a result taxes might jump immediately from $600 a year to more than $5,000 because the sale now lists a new owner who is instantly taxed on the new assessed valuation. Here's another interesting part of this scenario. Say a couple buys a home here in 1965 for $65,000. Their tax rate is based upon an initial assessed value based upon that purchase price. In subsequent years the assessed value cannot increase more than 1.5 percent. However, let's say that house is worth $750,000 today and one of the spouses dies (an actual case I personally know about). The county immediately takes half of that house and appraises it at today's value which means the widow or widower continues to pay the previous tax rate on his/her half but the remaining half is now assessed at a new rate with a correspondingly high tax rate! So much for fairness in the tax code.

"scrape" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
The earnest one

That is not entirely true because you can sell a sibling your home and transfer the prop.13 taxes to them so there is more to what happened to those people than was told to you.

Reply to
JSMMV

Wrong. This involved a death, not a transfer to a child, sibling, etc. Once a death occurs things change dramatically if a will, rather than a trust, is involved. I am aware of the transfer possibilities when a person is alive, such as a transfer from the owner to a trust, to an immediate family member, etc. This is different and I know it's true because it happened to my mother-in-law when my father-in-law died two years ago. Took my mother-in-law nearly two years to get everything through probate. We had all tried to convince my father-in-law that a trust was better but his attorney (those creeps) convinced him he was in fine shape. So much for their advice. My mother-in-law now knows the truth has a trust. Anyone in the US with any real assets who does not have a trust is out of their mind. Do you think attorneys (those creeps) have wills for transfer of their assets? Ha! Not a chance. They all have trusts, believe me. I have three of them with different assets in different trusts to keep everything "at arms length". That way if someone, such as an attorney (those creeps) tries to rip me off in an auto accident which results in damages greater than the insurance company will pay, they can simply take a hike. Seemed like a lot of work to begin with, getting the trusts set up, but once done they are very easy and very effective.

Reply to
The earnest one