Re: 4.9 6 cylinder's average MPG??

hey all;

I'm sorry to bother, but would i be better off with the 5.0 for commuting? i will be driving about 70 miles a day, probably in overdrive. would the

302 give me better mileage? I juse love those trucks, they drive great, and if i can afford to drive one daily, i'd like to.

thanks! TB

> > Hi all, > > > > looking at buying either a 4.9 6 cylinder auto or 5 speed f150 2wd, anyone > > have this motor or can give me a ball park MPG average for this motor? I > > need a fullsize truck that gets decent mileage and i've always liked the > > 92-96 model F 150's. > > > > Thanks > > TB > > > > > > The Ford 4.9L 300Cid, they run forever, get poor to really poor gas mileage, > are outstanding for LOW RPM Torque, Suck on the highway power side. > > I had a 1982 stepside F-150 4.9L 300Cid 4-speed 3.00 Locking rear end 4X4. > It got 12 MPG empty (4600lbs) , full, over full, City or Highway. That > Engine went 270000 miles, It was running when I took it out, I still have > the original in my barn. > I transplanted a 1992 EFI 4.9L 300Cid into the same truck, and that new > motor got the same 12 MPG :-( A good friend still drives this truck, as a > daily driver, it has to have over 350000 miles on it by now. > > When I bought the truck in the first place the way I convinced myself that I > could live with the less responsive power was by living with the better gas > mileage. That never happened. If I had it to do again I would have gotten > a V-8. > > My 82 Bronco 302 4-speed 3.55 Detroit Locker 4X4, got 16 MPG with a 2 barrel > carburetor. after a new 302 with some extensive performance

modifications,

it got 12-14 MPG. > My 88 F-250 460EFI 5-Speed 4.10 Locking 4x4 gets 12 MPG empty (6800lbs), and > more in the neighborhood of 8-10 while towing 9000-12,500 pound trailers. > Man it sure is fun to see the look on the new truck owners face when this > big long old (Long Since Paid For) truck launches off the green light and > they can't keep up :-) They can't catch me till I stop at the gas station > :-( > > Good Luck > >
Reply to
Trailblazer

If you're mainly going to commute, get a base Ranger 5 speed, with the 4 duratech engine.

Last tank gave me 31 MPG, although I usually just get 25-27 in town.

And, 143 horses in nothing to complain about.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

he said he was looking for a truck.

Reply to
jim donovan

Yea, they got a lot of low rpm torque. Myself, I think it depends on the use, which engine is best. For a work truck, I'd go with the 300. It will haul or pull anything nearly. As one mentioned, it's also very easy to work on in general. I can rebuild the YF 1 barrel carbs in about 20 min...A six is also pretty smooth if it's running well. But if the truck will strictly be a street cruiser, I'd go with the small V8. It'll rev higher, and will sound better also...:) A 302 mufflered right has a nice throaty sound...Also the 351 is a good truck engine..Better than the 302 really from what I've heard, but I never had a 351 in a truck. My present truck is a 1968 F-250. It was built a work truck, and has the 300, a T-18, and the dana 60 4.10 rear which is limited slip. I have a utility bed and camper shell on it. The 300 is a pretty good engine for that particular truck. We once had a 73 f-100 with a 302 and a column 3 speed. It was a fun street truck. We had it dueled out, and it sounded and ran good. But I bet my 68 with the 300 would drag it down the street screaming, if I hooked chains together... I got that 300 torque at low rpm's, and the t-18 granny gear...:) But the 73 with the 302 was geared better for the highway. I hear many that call the 302 totally wimpy for a truck, but I don't think it was

*that* bad...I kind of liked it myself. The one we had got pretty good MPG with it's small 2 barrel. MK
Reply to
Mark Keith

I had a '84 F150 with a 4.9 carburated engine. Maybe 18 mpg on the highway,

Good low end torque, you could put a 1,000 lbs in the bed and you would never know it was there.

But weak on top end, 73 mph was max speed on level ground.

Reply to
emcook