Ford Focus dash MPG/Average speed resetting

I've noticed during the winter (particularly on cold/snowy days, but not every time it's cold) that the MPG/Average speed log is getting reset to

0, and the warning beep (when cold, or other message appear on the dash) turns off. The trip counter remains correct, as does the Miles to Empty display.

Additionally, when starting the car (when it appears to have been reset) the rev and speedo dials take a second or two longer to move off zero with a bit of a wobble. Almost as if the dash is resetting, which also resets the stored values. If the dash dials pop up normally, then the values are kept. Definitely seem to be related to each other.

Any thoughts on this? It's more of an annoyance as I manually reset these values when I fill up - but just wondered if anyone knew the answer. I'd wondered if there was a backup battery which was getting low in the cold weather or something - but seems weird to use a backup battery for such things.

Starts first time every time, so I doubt the car battery is poor. I do keep a phone charger plugged in all the time though, and have done for years...

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn