Remote Keyless Entry Wiring Harness Question

I've got a'95 F250 SC PSD with power door locks. There clearly is not an RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) module in the truck, but there is a curious capped harness next to the premium sound amp (the service manuals don't give the pinout for the harness and just call it "cap for automatic transmission with premium audio", which is just strange).

Anyway, what I'm hoping is that someone knows whether or not the RKE hookups are usually tucked somewhere deep in the Instrument Panel off the main wiring, or if there are just plain Power Door Lock models with a primary cabling that completely lacks the harness for RKE (which doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but hey, I'm no electrical engineer).

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
garybla

I'm not quite sure what yoru question is, but I think you are suggesting that they use one wire harness for all trucks of the same model, and simply plug in the options that apply, meaning that any optin that is not applied can easily be installed later. I go along with this theory completely. It costs less for the factory to churn out a million wire harnesses that are all the same, then plug in various modules to fill a build order, than it is to build specific harnesses that can not support th addition of dealer installed options, such as Remote Keyless Entry.

Obviously, they would not use a wire harness on a base model that supported electric windows, but if they built a truck with electric windows, the harness would support the features that could be associated with that function, even if the features were not oredred/installed at the factory.

Having said that, I do not know where the connection point would be for the remote entry module, but I'm pretty sure you've got the connection point if you have electric windows and doors.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Gary, In years previous to 96 model your assumption is correct. The RKE wiring is NOT there. There are models with power windows only installed. They simply just operate from a window control located in the drivers door. Sorry to disappoint you.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech