Saet belt retractor tension

I have a 2002 Escape that the front driver's side seat belt is needing a little help retracting all the way. I was wondering how hard it is to add more tension to it, if at all possible. I can get to it myself even though the car is still under warranty. I'd rather do the fix myself than drop it off at the dealership for 2 days and have them scratch or crack the inside molding fixing it, then go through hell to get them to fix THAT! Been there, done that, got that tee-shirt. TIA, SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

That was a recall item. My wife took her Escape to have it replaced. At the same time, they did the recall reprogramming of the PCM.

As she drove away, she stopped to check something in the back seat and found that the belt was fastened shut. She had to drive back, and get cut out of the belt for a repeat replacement.

You may think that sucks, but not so. In two weeks, her transmission blew a torque converter. This is AFTER the service reprogrammed her PCM which determines the power points to the trannie. It only cost me $3500 to fix it.

There are numerous posts about the failures of the escape transmissions etc.

I will never buy a FORD again. And I have owned 4 of them....

Reply to
goiner

I think you've got that confused with the air bag, but you're probably right- I should bring it in. Thanks, SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:07:04 -0500, Bob rearranged some electrons to form:

In the seat belt retractor? You sure about that there, Bob?

Reply to
David M

Most seat belt retractors I've seen lock up using a large steel ball that moves under the inertia of forward motion during rapid deceleration...the ball slides forward and locks the mechanism, therefore not allowing the belt to extend out of the retractor. Ever try to pull the belt out when you're braking?

Are you talking about a mechanism that actually retracts the belt upon an impact? Man, I think that would really hurt.

No mention of an exposive charge in the seat belt retractors of my '02 Superduty...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Hmm. Cool. I guess if the retractor is not wired, he wouldn't have the charge.

deceleration...the

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo
2002 Escape has it........... otherwise I never would have brought it up in the first place Bob
Reply to
Bob