Temperature guage problem F250 Diesel

The temperature guage on my 1990 F250 diesel truck is registering all the way to the left on Cold all the time, even after several hours/miles of driving. The exhaust temp gauge and boost gauge don't seem to work either (unless they only work when a trailer is hooked up).

I was going to replace the thermostat first. Is this the right place to start?

Recently got a new tranny also, is there a temperature sensor related to that that could be causing problem?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Susan B. Cronshaw

Logic would seem to dicate that if you're experiencing problems with 3 gauges, the problem would lie in the instrument cluster or in the wiring leading to it.. Perhaps when you got the new tranny, the shop forgot to connect a harness somehwere?

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

The thermostat is not connected to the gauges. The gauge is controlled by a temperature sensor somewhere. The thermostat is purely mechanical and only affects the path of the coolant. If your engine was overheating, then checking the thermostat is a good idea.

HTH,

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

The thermostat is also the place to start if the engine is NOT getting hot.

Steve Barker