Tire Repair Question

My left front tire on my 2005 F350 4x4 is losing 2 - 3 pounds of pressure a day. The set has 40,000 miles on them with about 6/32 inch of tread left. The spare is unused. Would you:

  1. Repair the tire and put it back on a: the front, b: the rear.
  2. Repair the tire but replace it with the unused spare tire, making the repaired tire the spare tire.

Two more notes:

  1. 9 months of the year I pull a 13,000 pound 5th wheel RV; it mostly sits the other
3 months. When on the road 45% of miles are actually pulling the trailer from place to place.
  1. In a year or less I'll need a new set of tires anyway.

TIA, no email please.

Reply to
rvfulltime

Sounds like a leak through the sidewall. Pinhole stuff. It's common ton all tires at around 6 years old. Doesn't seem to matter if you cover them or not. It will hold air if you are willing to put some Slime in them. I'd replace them all as soon as feasible. I just threw away a spare that had never seen the road. It was too old.

HTH

Reply to
Teddy Bear

My $0.02 is to have repair the tire and put back wherever the rotation puts it, that is to treat is as if it never had a flat. It sounds like a fairly small leak so, properly repaired, the tire should fine to run on.

As far as the new spare goes, since you didn't include it in your rotation, it should stay as a spare. When you get new tires, you might think about trading it for an older tire of the same type you are getting if the tire shop will give you a worthwhile amount for it.

I prolly shoulda but I could not be bothered including my spare in my tire rotation. I ended up with a new spare like you so I traded it when I got new tires and got a few bucks off my purchase. My old tires went over 100K kms without getting any flats so the spare literally never hit the ground.

Stephen N.---> okay, I should rotate 5 ways instead of 4...

Reply to
Stephen N.

A tire with 6/32nds can not be repaired. Buy a new tire and toss the old tire in the scrap heap.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And why is that?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Who said? I've repaired tires that were worn slick.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

Tire stores in my state will not repair a tire that has 6/32nds or less. That is where the bar starts to show, and the tire store will not make a repair when the bar shows.

Yes, it is physically possible to make the repair, but the tire store won't do it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The wear bars are at 2/32".

Steve Barker

I took it to Discount Tire yesterday and they repaired it free of charge. I wasn't expecting that. That type of customer service makes me inclined to buy a replacement set from them in about 9 months. Hopefully I'll be close to one of their stores then.

Reply to
rvfulltime

I would have plugged it long before getting on Usenet. All this "sounds like" stuff makes no sense to me. We can't find the leak, because it's your tire. You have to find it. Then you can plug it

I would also make plans to use that spare, but maybe not right now. I might be more inclined to buy a set of 3 when you wear them out and use the spare then. I would not want a plugged tire as my spare, so that's not an option. I want a tire that has never leaked.

Reply to
Joe

Duh!

Oops. What's 4/32nds among friends?

In that case, Discount Tire / America's Tire (same company, different names) will fix the tire for free.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

20,000 miles or so :-)

Whitelightning