tires; success at last #2

Glen, About 10 days ago I brought a copy fo your posting, a copy of the TSB on the tires, and a documented list and copy of whatever dealer service I've had. Fortunately 4 tire rotations in 35000 miles. The service man called today and I'm getting pro rated about 1/2 the value of the tires new. Many thanks for the origional posting. Mark S.

Mark, > > I would suggest you spend the $20-30 to get the Wranglers put on and then go > to your dealer. I'm not sure what luck you would have if the tires are off > the truck but maybe. > > The TSB was issued in January and although I didn't get to read it, the lady > in the service dept. said it didn't give a reason, just a recommended > solution. I first reported a problem with noise at just under 10,000 kms > (6000 miles) and then it really got bad around 35,000 kms. Goodyear told me > I should get 70,000 kms from those tires. > > If I had been given a choice, I wouldn't have gone with the Wranglers but I > can't complain. > > Good luck. > > Glen > Nova Scotia > > > Thanks for the posting. I have a 02 Ranger 4x4 XLT. At about 20000 miles > > last year I started to hear a humming. Like wheel bearings. Brought it to > > the dealer. He thought the same and replaced both front bearings. Still > the > > noise so he suggested that it might be tires but there was still allot of > > tread. So three weeks ago at 35000 miles with the noise driving me crazy > and > > a trip to Newfoundland coming up, I put on BF Goodrich Long Trail ATs. > Same > > size but load range "E" (I have a small slide in truck camper). The noise > > went away. I saved the tires to give to a friend but I'll try going back > to > > the dealer with the old Goodyears and see what type of reimbursement I can > > get. This seems to be a common problem with this tire/truck

configuration.

> Thanks again. Mark S. > > > Those of you who follow this group may have read or responded to my > posts > > > regarding the premature and uneven wear of the tires on my 20 Ranger XLT > > > 4x4. > > > > > > In a nutshell, the 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires cupped and > > > scalloped causing a noisy and rough ride. Neither the dealer nor > Goodyear > > > would do anything. My last fight was last September. > > > > > > Last week, with 5000kms left on the warranty, I went in with a list of > > > things wrong as well as a list of TSBs gleaned from the NHTSA website. > To > > my > > > surprise, when I returned to pick up the truck, I had 4 new tires, free > of > > > charge. The TSB for exactly that problem was issued in January and it > > > recommended replacing the tires with 255/70R16 ones. > > > > > > Although I would never buy Wrangler RT/S tires, the price was right on > > > these. > > > > > > I know there are a few other guys out there with the same problem so > check > > > it out and see what you can get. > > > > > > The dealer also finally addressed several other problems like high > reving > > > and a few clunking noises. They replaced the IAC valve and have ordered > a > > > new motor mount and sway bar bushings. > > > > > > Glen > > > Nova Scotia > > > > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
mark schofield