tow capaicty of a 97 F150

What is the trailer and payload capacity of a 4x4 F150?

Reply to
Rusted

MikeT

I am not looking for exact, just close. Are they in the 6200 - 6500 range? It is not a truck that I own, but one that a co-worker was looking at. We started the discussion of how well a F150 would pull a jeep using a flat bed trailor. I wanted to see if his pulling combo would be under the max limits for towing, and I think he would be very close to to a max now. If you have numbers for a small engine and high gears, and a large engine with low gears it would give enough info to discuss towing options.

Reply to
Rusted

Engine is the 4.6L

Reply to
Rusted

You should be fine. I towed a 4k pound car on a flat bed trailer with my '97 with the 4.6L and 3:55 gears. Just remember to shut off the OD and you will be fine.

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P

Well, I had a 97, 4.6 3:55 limited slip rear end, super cooling and trailer tow, and the rating was 7500 lbs. With 4X4 you can drop this by 1200 lbs. Also, I towed about 5000 lbs. worth of boat with it, did "OK" and I towed it allot, it did make the engine tired after a few years towing about 2000 miles/year for 5 years.

Hope that helps, should be ok

Reply to
MikeT