towing with 99 F-250 SD

I just bought a 99 F-250 SD with the 5.4l auto with OD. This is the first truck that I have had with OD I was always told to tow with the OD off but could find no mention of it in the manual. I am towing a two horse trailer mostly down the highway.

what is everyone else doing?

Jim

Reply to
James Gillespie

I Leave it on, unless it can't seem to stay in a gear. They didn't mention turning it off in the manual, so I'll assume they knew what they were doing.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I have a V10 and tow a 14,000lb 5th wheel in OD all of the time. You might have to take it out of Cruise when going over an overpass to keep it from down shifting, or, just put it in 3rd when pulling even a slight grade. The 5.4L doesn't put out much torque.

Reply to
Mellowed

I have a '99 F350, and it's towed a 20,000lb combination trailer with Bobcat/Tractor since it was new. I always left the overdrive on. Around

85,000 miles, the overdrive went out, taking the rest of the transmission with it. I live in a fairly flat area of NC. I put in a new factory transmission, with a Banks lower stall torque converter. I now tow with the cruise turned off. It even seems to help with slowing the vehicle around town.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader
20,000 pounds is a lot of weight even for a 350.

Thanks for all the input. Jim

Reply to
James Gillespie

It does surprisingly well.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I guess that is the problem with these new pickups with powerful turbo diesels. They have the power to pull anything so people seem to be using these truck for duties that used to be performed by dump trucks. What will happen when your 20,000lb trailer gets out of control? Your 7000lb F350 doesn't have a prayer. Hopefully you don't kill anyone in the process as you could be convicted of manslaughter.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Rob, your logic is sound,

However, the average tractor-trailer combination is much worse in weight ratios. The average road tractor is around 16,000 lbs, and by ratio pulls well over it's own weight, triple in some cases.

The class "A" license is for drivers trained to pull loads starting at

26,001 lbs. With a road tractor, or dump truck. Those loads can go well over 60,000 lbs.

I have a class "A", and do pull my heaviest equipment with a dump truck, and the ratio is about the same.

Trailers do get out of control, and accidents do occur. That's why there are guidelines to help keep these at a minimum.

My F350 is a dually, and is equipped with an electric trailer brake controller, and a gooseneck hitch. My equipment trailer is equipped with electric trailer brakes. I am as safe as I can be, and am within the towing limits made by the manufacturer.

My description of the weight I pull with my dually was a generalization, specifically, it is 21,246 lbs, unless the equipment is muddy, and by combination, I mean the weight of the tow vehicle is included too. The transmission is responsible for all of the weight either on top of it or behind it.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

That is good to here. "Most" of the people around here doing that do not seem to be as safe. Thanks for the comprehensive response.

You sound like you are probably a

Reply to
Rob Munach

The manual says leave it in.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

It couldn't possibly be that your tranny went out because you were over loading it by 30% now could it....

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

If you are towing a trailer weighing 21000 lbs you are exceeding the tow limit recommended by Ford by at least 7300 lbs (I just looked it up, the max rating for the 99 F350 is 13,800 )

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I am suprised that his tranny lasted 85,000 miles.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Ralph,

I'll respond here to all your replies. Instead of telling you to read my posts again, I'll put it simply for you.

My truck weighs 8,102lbs

My loaded trailer weighs 13,144lbs

My combination load is 21,246lbs

Now, according to the information you posted, I'm not only under the towing limit, but I've got room for a couple more fat guys and a cooler full of Mt. Dew.

I towed with the overdrive on until the transmission went bad. Just like the manual said.

I didn't blame the failure on the overdrive, I said towing with the overdrive turned off helps to slow the loaded vehicle when driving around town.

I don't care if the manual says leave it turned on, I towed with it that way and it didn't work as well, and failed prematurely, whatever the reason.

My transmission temperature gauge says the trans is cooler when towing with the overdrive off. Heat kills transmissions. It was a very expensive lesson.

You should do whatever is best for you, your truck, and the load you pull, don't mind me..........

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader