Window Switch Problem

The window switch for the rear drivers side window has become faulty .It swiches only one way (open). Is the switch located in the central console or the door .? Is it a simple job to replace it and is the replacement unit for one or all of the windows ? My pride and joy is a 9000CS 1994 82000k Any advice gratefully appreciated.

-- PeterC

Reply to
<

Both. Which one doesn't work??

Reply to
Adrian England

The problem is likely to be the main switch block in the central console. With time, lots of dust and dirt gets down the side of the switches, causing them not to work or be sticky. Its fairly straight forward to take apart* and clean, but you do need to remove the 'tray' section immediately below the switch rockers, as this is where the crud collects. Its also a good idea to interchange the loose metal rocker contact with that on the passenger side. Note the switch contacts for the front windows are not interchangeable with those for the rear.

*use scraps of card under each of the hooks round the body of the switch.Keep the block upright as you separate the halves-then you can see where the rockers all go Chris
Reply to
chrisnew

Chris is probably correct. A few years ago I was talked into having the console switchbox replaced in my 94 9000 at a Saab dealership. After paying a small fortune I discovered how easy it was to disassemble the old box and polish the contacts. Just be sure to take it apart over a table so you don't lose any parts. I now have a spare switchbox.

Good luck, R. Frist

P.S., To remove the switchbox it helps to slip a thin putty knife between the back of the box and the surrounding console while pushing up on the box with a finger. You should be able to barely reach the bottom of the box from the hand brake handle opening.

Reply to
Ramsey Frist

Chris is probably correct. A few years ago I was talked into having the console switchbox replaced in my 94 9000 at a Saab dealership. After paying a small fortune I discovered how easy it was to disassemble the old box and polish the contacts. Just be sure to take it apart over a table so you don't lose any parts. I now have a spare switchbox.

Good luck, R. Frist

P.S., To remove the switchbox it helps to slip a thin putty knife between the back of the box and the surrounding console while pushing up on the box with a finger. You should be able to barely reach the bottom of the box from the hand brake handle opening.

Reply to
Ramsey Frist

I am having this same problem but with the front passenger window. The dealership told me over the phone it would be $286 to replace the entire switch box, that is kind of pricey! How does one "polish" the contacts? Is it really difficult? I can try to pry off the switch box with a putty knife, I have a 99 9-5 SE. THanks!

Reply to
sadieas

Sounds like a ripoff to me, I replaced the window switches in my 900 for about $9 each, got the parts from europarts. James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Hdgdn

I am not sure how to remove the switchbox in the 9-5. I should check this out as my significant other just acquired a 1999 9-5. Once you open the box by carefully prying the plastic catches or detents its pretty obvious how the rockers work and where the burned areas of the contacts are. A wire brush on a Dremmel tool works well but fine sandpaper will do. I have heard that emery paper should be avoided when working with electrical things because the emery particles conduct electricity. While you have the box open it is easy to replace any burned out lamp with a 60ma 12 volt "grain of rice" lamp from Radio Shack (requires a smidgen of solder.)

Good luck.

Reply to
R. Frist

It is in a way. The switches in the classic 900 could be replaced individually whereas in the 9000 the whole swichbox with six switches is one unit.

Reply to
R. Frist

On my 1987 9000 I replaced the drivers switch by itself. Lift out the "box" of six switches and then you can pop each one out individually.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith