05 Century

Having quite a time with a pissy odor in my almost new Century. The car's interior was doused with some kind of industrial cleaner and of course there was a pine scented tree hung on the mirror. We thought that it was just the pine scent but after a 2000 mile trip we now know that something's wrong.

The only way that the car is livable is to run it on "max speed" , "vent" with AC on. I have just changed the interior car air filter and found it "black".

The question that I have is about this filter. I do understand that it filters all the new air coming into the passenger compartment but does it also filter the recalculated air.

Secondly: Is there some kind of car care product that will get rid of all these odors??

Reply to
Bill Alliston

After trying one from my ac-repairman, I bought(~$85) one from him: an ozone generator/deodorizer. It leaves a hint of a clorox-like odor, and this for only a few days. I needed one to use commercially, but I'm sure one could be rented. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks alot!!!! I will give that a try

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bill Alliston

Where to begin????

After a month of driving the car with the vents wide open I decided that I had to do something. (The stink was clearly not going to just, go away on it's own.)

OK . . . . So,,, I already had a ozonator operating on my swimming pool. So I disconnected it from the poll and jury rigged a 6-9 volt CPU fan over the air inlet hole and drove it with one of the many power adapters that had kicking around. Connected both the fan and the ozonator. (Appears to simply be a rectangular airtight box with a blue UV?? bulb inside and a half inch air inlet hole on one end and an air outlet hole on either end.) I ran an extension cord out to the car and let the ozonator run for about 20 hours.

At noon the next day I opened all the windows and aired the car out really well.

When I got in and took her for a test run, I couldn't believe my nose. That sickly sweet heavy pine scent was gone and nothing else was left behind. Just a totally neutral odor,,, NOTHING! The smell of death was gone!

Reply to
Bill Alliston

Glad you rectified your problem. And happy to hear it worked for you--sounds like a neat plumbing job you did! s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thanks

As far as the plumbing job goes all I used was a little duct tape.

I am going to try it next in my metal shop in my garage to see if I can get rid of the smell of rancid cutting oil.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Bill Alliston