1994 Buick Century Special Wagon. Wont start.

I have a '94 buick Century Special Wagon With A 3100. I recently got it not running. I was told the problem was the starter. after taking out the old starter I found that there was a wire broken. I tied that wire together in hopes thats all it was. it was not. I replaced the starter today, and again same results. If i jump the starter it will turn but not engauge to the flywheel. I wonder if the broken wire has shorted/blown a fuse or some other relay or such I dont know about. I checked the fuse block in the glove box. but all the fuses are working. I thought there was a fuse block under the hood. but I can not locate it. If there is a relay or coil or something I am unaware of That I should check. Please inform me. Any/all help will be greatly appreciated. I will try to giva ane more details neccesariy to diagnose this problem. Thanks to anyone who can help. Sincerly, Ken

Reply to
Ken (Pawn)

The diagram for your machine indicates that power for the starter solenoid comes directly from the battery through fusible link C, the ignition switch, the neutral position switch for the transmission, and on to the purple wire on the starter solenoid.

Is there any chance that the broken wire you spoke of could have been a fusible link?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

You are correct about the diagram, i had to go out and buy the book for it. That led me to the real problem, it was not the starter in anyway. I followed the wires from the starter, I thought maybe it was the neutral switch, i tested it no power. so that left the ignition switch. So i was gonna go dramatic and just wire a starter switch on the dash and just bypass the ignigtion altogether. As i took the wireharness from inside the steering console I noticed a little black box. I looked at it and read the word PROLOCK. on it. I knew what it was immediatly. I had just gotten the car with the knowledge that it wouldnt start presumably because of the starter. I traced the wires into the box, it was 1 thick yellow wire going in and 1 thick yellow wire going out. 1 to the ignition the other the starter. That was my proble, almost 200.00 later i figured out that the old starter wasnt bad, it was because of this stupid antitheft device that the key was missing too. so i cut it out and wired the ignition wires back up, turned the key, and sure enough, it started,/ thanks for the reply. but it seems none of that would have helped. :P And the wire that was broken was one of them that goes to the alternator i found due to the diagram in the book.

Sincerely, Ken

Reply to
Ken (Pawn)