2000 Northstar V8 - Kaboom!

A friend lost the engine in his 2000 Caddy about 3 weeks age. A rod broke. 140,000 miles. They were on the Indiana Tollroad when it happened. Speed Limit was 70.
Quote was $9000 for a new engine / installation.
The shop is looking for a used one. First engine they found had almost as many miles as the one that blew.
harryface 2005 Park Avenue 61,289 1991 Bonneville 309,899

HF, I've read enough of your posts to know you're too nice a guy to flaunt your 300k B'ville at him. But even you thought about it for just a second, huh? I retired ~10 years ago, and back then no indep. mechanics would work on the alum. Caddy engines, regardless of miles. Our solution was an all-or-none--we out-sourced our cars to a local machine shop who kept rebuilt Caddy engines in stock and they were $2800, installed, plus exchange. (Bet they had $500 worth of helicoils!) Often they rebuilt your eng. if they had none in stock. At the same time, the local salvage yards had a growing inventory of 3800's "backing up" on them. sam

Damn! $9000? The guy is better off going out and buying another car.
Harry Face wrote:

Northstars are not exactly building a reputation as a high mileage bulletproof motor. Big oil leaks seem to be more common than thrown rods. Even so, your friend's story isn't uncommon.
Ditch the thing and get something which will go the distance. Hint, that wouldn't be a Northstar equipped car. I wouldn't spend the money to put a used high mileage Northstar in there and a good low mileage one is going to be expensive. There is an unfortunately high demand for the few good low mileage used Northstars!
If he must buy a GM vehicle, a 3800 equipped one is the only thing I would consider.
My friend got his car back last week. The shop installed a used Northtar from a wrecked Caddy with 43,000 miles on it.
The bill was around $2899.00
harryface 2005 Park Avenue 61,495 1991 Bonneville 310,029