Disabling ABS on my Van

All that proves is that it was very slippery. It does not mean it was caused by ABS. It does not prove it would have been less sliding without them. You have to realize that ABS keeps the wheels from locking up so you can maintain steering control while braking. It does not give more traction. It does not enhance driver's brain cells.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can stop and steer just fine without ABS.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You really like to go on and on about shit you know nothing about, don't you?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I was just thinking, Nate, that I really know nothing about this either. I have, and have had , several cars with ABS systems. I dont have any complaints at all, making me wonder if I have missed something.

I have driven in all sorts of weather using these systems. But usually I slow down under bad conditions, and dont push the envelope. Maybe that is the difference.

Reply to
<HLS

IME, *MOST* ABS systems work well under *MOST* conditions. But to abuse someone because they have issues with the particular ABS system that they have in their car is stupid, because they are not perfect. Some less so than others.

In general, it seems that with every passing model year they get more sophisticated and better able to deal with difficult conditions, but there will always be some that are better than others.

nate

Reply to
N8N

No, there are some thing I know but this is not one of them. There are some people that make up their minds and think they know. So you had a slippery road. Without doing a comparative test, you cannot say for sure what the difference is. Your subjective idea is certainly not proof of anything.

No sense in continuing this discussion as I'm sure neither of us is going to change our minds. Nor will I stoop to name calling.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's pretty funny, since you're the one who started it with the

"Sidling through has nothing to do with ABS, but everything to do with being

The last part is true, but we all know what you were insinuating.

Reply to
Hairy

When approaching a stop sign, the ability to stop nearly always trumps the ability to steer.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Right, but when you can't stop, being able to steer away can be just as important.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Insinuating? No, I meant exactly what I said and it applied to all drivers, including me. . If you are sliding through a stop sign, you are driving too fast. If that happens to fit you, take it as intended. Last night, a co-worker's daughter was in an accident and broke her leg. Cause? Driving too fast for conditions on a road with ice. That is a fact, not name calling.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If I am driving an ABS equipped vehicle at, say, 20 MPH and cannot stop, and I can drive the same vehicle in the same conditions WITHOUT ABS at

30 MPH or more and CAN stop, the problem is not me, it's a defective ABS system.

The obvious solution is to not buy vehicles with defective ABS systems, but you can't always take a vehicle for a test drive in bad weather before you buy. Hence, I assume, the reason for the OP's post.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hi...

Dunno if I'm throwing fuel or water on the fire, but in all my years (and I'm getting awfully long in the tooth), I've only had them operate once. Startled me, but aside from that it wouldn't really have mattered at all if they hadn't been there - no one and nothing to hurt if it had just kept sliding.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

The only times I know for sure mine activated were in snow and ice. I could tell by the somewhat disconcerting grinding sound. The car always stopped, so I dont know what would have happened had they not activated.

I did lose control with another car, a Buick Regal with 4 wheel discs but not ABS, at about 15 mph. Slid slowly to a stop and hit a bridge raining. Unusual snow and the car had not been changed to winter tires. Would ABS have prevented it?? No idea.

Reply to
<HLS

I just all and all hate ABS period, the 99 Jimmy we have I've disabled it, the 93 jeep dont have it thank god, and the 90 grand am dont either, good thing, I've driven many cars with it (2001 Jeep Cherokee) and I didnt like those either.

Reply to
abomb69

I hope you NEVER have an accident with it disabled. Your insurance company will hang you out to dry if they find out it's disabled. Plus they may sue you if there is anything on the policy like a discount for the ABS being there. I know a couple folks who went though it. By the time the other insurance company got through with them they ended up totally broke and the man (he was the one who disabled the ABS) served 2 year in jail for vehicular manslaughter. WHY? The other insurance company proved that he had knowingly disabled the ABS unit and they brought in a couple of experts who testified that IF the ABS had been active that the accident wouldn't have occurred because the driver could have steered around the stopped vehicle.

Reply to
Steve W.

If you hate ABS, you'll probably despise the ESC too. You should have been with me this morning as I was spinning around an icy parking lot playing with mine for the first time. With it turned off, I was able to spin easily. Putting it back on, I was amazed at how well I could track.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is a pretty powerful testimonial, Steve. Makes a believer out of me.

Reply to
<HLS

ESC?

Reply to