Electrical Horn and Turn Signal Malfunction

My vehicle: 1990 PONTIAC SUNBIRD LE (non- turbo, vin K, non- airbag) Hi, My car?s horn keeps blowing during a left turn with left turn signal on. This happens during my left turn right at the point when the trun signal switch is about to or is clicking off. Otherwise the horn operates correctly. I removed the steering wheel to look at the wires in the column for damage and could not find anything wrong with them. A BRIEF HISTORY I while back the previous owner had a problem with her left parking lights. Apparently a firiend tried to jam a bulb into the socket which appears to have broken the socket. The left parking lights would only work while the left turn signal was on. I repaired the socket and now the left parking lights work fine. Another problem right now is that the instrument panel lights will not light up I suspect a bad light/dimmer switch which does not seem to operate correctly and I plan to replace soon. I almost forgot to mention that I had the turn signal switch replaced after the horn problem accured thinking that might be the problem of course it wasn?t. Could there be a bad ground somewhere on the chasis causing all this? I don?t know what else to try. Thanks in advance for any help possible.

Reply to
SunbirdOwner

UPDATE: After putting the steering wheel back on and rechecking the ground attached to the left fender coming from the (-) battery terminal the problem disapeared - hopefully for good. If it reappears I wll be unplugging the horn and foregeting about it... Removing the steering wheel, lock plate and then putting it back on was more then I bargained for. The lockplate was especially hard to remove and reinstall... Imagine this: I was seated in the driver?s seat with both feet over the lock plate trying to compress the spring below while reaching between my legs and in between my Champion running shoes with a screw driver trying to push the pin back in place and not fart at the same time. ...that didn?t work so I used the nut somehow with some kind of bracket and weight that came with the wheel to do it (phew!). I finaly got it though...

"SunbirdOwner" wrote: > My vehicle: 1990 PONTIAC SUNBIRD LE (non- turbo, vin K, non- > airbag) > Hi, My car's horn keeps blowing during a left turn with left > turn signal on. This happens during my left turn right at the > point when the trun signal switch is about to or is clicking > off. Otherwise the horn operates correctly. I removed the > steering wheel to look at the wires in the column for damage > and could not find anything wrong with them. > [b:add079eb6b]A BRIEF HISTORY[/b:add079eb6b] > I while back the previous owner had a problem with her left > parking lights. Apparently a firiend tried to jam a bulb into > the socket which appears to have broken the socket. The left > parking lights would only work while the left turn signal was > on. I repaired the socket and now the left parking lights > work fine. Another problem right now is that the instrument > panel lights will not light up I suspect a bad light/dimmer > switch which does not seem to operate correctly and I plan to > replace soon. I almost forgot to mention that I had the turn > signal switch replaced after the horn problem accured thinking > that might be the problem of course it wasn't. > Could there be a bad ground somewhere on the chasis causing > all this? I don't know what else to try. Thanks in advance for > any help possible.[/b]

Reply to
SunbirdOwner

They sell a locking plate tool for about $15. Your way sounds like it would be more fun to watch!

Removing the steering

Reply to
johnoz19