Front left CV joint seizure?

1993 Jimmy, with electronic transfer case.

- Driving in 2WD is fine, no indications of trouble

- In 4Hi, right turns are fine

- In 4Hi, or just after turning off 4Hi (Back to 2 wheel), turning left results in the vehicle coming to a halt (with a couple small creaking sounds). To get out of it, in 2wd mode, reverse, then forward, then all is okay.

- Have not checked 4Lo for this failure mode, I assume it is the same. I'm hesitant to do so as a lot more torque can be delivered in 4Lo.

Does this sound like a CV joint failure, or a problem with the front differential?

One more question: Until this is fixed, if I drive in 2WD mode only are there any safety issues?

Reply to
Conan Ford

sounds like the front diff problem or Xfer case. the CV axles are always turning in a GM IFS, so if it was the CV axles, it would always do it 4wd or not.

if it doesn't do it in 2wd you *should* be ok.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to
Shep

Bret Chase wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm going to pull the transfer case fuse, so it's always stuck in 2wd and can't be switched to 4wd.

To clarify, it comes to a screeching halt like I had just jammed on the brakes if I turn left in 4wd.

Reply to
Conan Ford