Is Cavalair a reasonably reliable vehicle.

Joseph A. Zupko wrote:

Heh. I'm 33 - been driving Buicks and Volvos since I was 16 and got my license - and the Volvos are better cars by far, but since my father sells me his old Buicks at about 10-12 years old for virtually nothing, why stop a good thing? :)
Next car is my choice, though - I'm waiting for the LeSabre to come around. My sister's getting the Park Ave. She's 23 and is getting his old Park Ave Ultra. Lol. Just too big for me.
I think I might go for a classic this next time. Had my eye on a 1962 1/2 Buick Skylark convertable. Now that's a slick car. :)

Perhaps newer design small cars? The Cavalier and Sunfire are the oldest design small cars currently for sale in the US, dating from the 1995 model year. Focus and Neon both date from 2000, Civic and Elantra 2001, Corolla 2003, etc..
Timothy J. Lee
I had a '92 Cav once. Although older, I think the engine went almost unchanged through about '96 or '97. And I believe they shared a lot of other parts. I drove it hard at times, but maintenance was right on time. I sold it at 127,000 (actually wish I'd kept it now) and last I heard it was well over 200k miles. It had very few problems. Crank position sensor and ignition module, and water pump was all I replaced besides the obvious maintenance stuff.
Tony
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:57:01 GMT, "windmere"

My own opinion is that car reviewers are the last people to ask about what car you should buy. Most of them are gear heads who are more impressed by the technical details of a car than how real people use real cars under ordinary practical driving conditions. For the average reviewer a car is an end in it's self and not simply a means to an end (a practical transportation tool).
By the way, we too considered buying a new Cavalier about a year ago. Instead we bought a 2002 Buick Century with 14800 miles on it for 11800$. We have never regretted that choice. In every way the Buick is a superior car. Even the mileage is similar to a cavalier. In the long run I think the Buick will prove to be less expensive to own than a new Cavalier not to mention the fact that you have a real grown-up car that is much more comfortable, reliable, quite, roomier, far better equipped and with a much higher build quality than a Cavalier.
Just one man's opinion.